Pets Survive House Fire In Port St. John
By Space Coast Daily // July 6, 2012
Cat, Pit Bull Rescued From Blaze
BREVARD COUNTY • PORT ST. JOHN, FLORIDA – Two pets were rescued from an house on fire Friday evening in Port St. John.
Lt. Jeff Taylor of Brevard County Fire Rescue said crews responded to a reported structure fire at 4667 Huber Street in Port St. John at 5:54 p.m.
When firefighters arrived on scene Taylor said they found heavy smoke coming from the single story home.
All occupants were out of the home, but two pets — a pit bull named Delilah and a cat — were reportedly still inside.
Crews quickly deployed fire hose lines into the home and extinguished the blaze.
Taylor said they searched the home, located both pets and successfully rescued them.
No injuries were reported to occupants or firefighters and both rescued pets were in good condition.
The home was occupied by three adults including a mother, daughter and adult grandson and the pets.
The residents told investigators that they were cooking and left the kitchen area unattended while moving to other areas of the home. Upon returning to the kitchen, they discovered a fire that originated at the stove and was spreading quickly to other areas of the kitchen.
The family immediately called 911 for assistance and left the home.
The fire was contained to the kitchen and damages have been estimated at $10,000, Taylor said.
The home was insured but was not equipped with working smoke alarms.
Taylor said the family will be displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, about 3,500 Americans die each year in fires and another 18,300 are injured. Unattended cooking fires are a leading cause of those fires.