Boy Playing With Lighter Catches Palm Bay House On Fire
By Space Coast Daily // December 3, 2012
Smoke Alarm Saves Family
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – A boy playing with a lighter ended up starting a fire inside his home Monday in Palm Bay.
When firefighters arrived they quickly extinguished the fire which was in a bedroom in the home.
Martinez said that upon further investigation it was revealed that a 5-year-old boy, along with his 3-year-old sister, were in a bedroom when the boy old found a lighter.
He began lighting small items on fire when it spread to the mattress.
The fire caused about $5,000 in damage to the single-family home.
“The smoke detector alerted the mother who was in the living room at the time of the fire,” said Palm Bay Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey. “Fortunately they were all able to safely evacuate the home and no one was injured.”
The 5-year-old boy will be required to attend the Juvenile Fire Setters Intervention Course.