Schools Reach Agreement With Teachers On Contract
By Space Coast Daily // December 20, 2012
Tentative Plan Runs Through 2014
BREVARD COUNTY • VIERA, FLORIDA – The Brevard Federation of Teachers and Brevard Public Schools have reached a tentative agreement on a two-year contract for the 2012-2014 school-years.
Several historic items were included in the contract.
“The two negotiation teams worked collaboratively to incorporate several new items within this contract that support both the needs of the district and the affected staff,” said Brevard Public Schools associate superintendent for human resources Debra Pace.
Dan Bennett, 1st vice president of the Brevard Federation of Teachers thinks the new contract offers new ideas.
“The negotiations team bargained highly innovative solutions into this contract,” Bennett said.
Highlights of the agreement include:
• Starting with the 2013-2014 school year, secondary teachers will teach six of seven class periods, eliminating one class supplement.
• Four additional early release Wednesdays will be scheduled in 2013-2014 for the purpose of teacher training and staff development.
• Reduction in force transfer decisions will be based on evaluation ratings and certification area in lieu of seniority.
• For 2012-2013, teachers will receive a 1 percent bonus and as of July of 2012, the Board of Education will contribute $20 a teacher per month toward health insurance.
• For the 2013-2014 school year, teachers will receive a 1.5 percent increase to their salaries. Beginning in January of 2014, teachers also will contribute $20 per month toward their health benefit plan.