Cooking Fire Spreads Through Palm Bay Home

By  //  February 2, 2013

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

$20,000 In Damage

[gmarker marker_latitude=”” marker_longitud=”” marker_label=””] [/gmarker]

 

BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – Investigators say flames from an accidental cooking fire are being blamed for causing about $20,000 in damage to a Palm bay home Saturday morning.

Palm Bay Public Information Officer Yvonne Martinez said just before 10 a.m. Saturday Palm Bay Fire Rescue responded to the 400 block of Crystal Mist Road NW for reports of an active structure fire.

The four occupants of the residence, twin 6-year-old boys, a 4-year-old and a 15-year-old babysitter safely evacuated the home while firefighters worked to stop further spread of the fire.

Martinez said further investigation by the fire marshal revealed the fire started on a mattress in one of the bedrooms.

It was later determined one of the twin boys cooked food in the microwave, wrapped the hot item in a towel and placed it on the mattress which then ignited.

Martinez said the Red Cross is assisting the family.

The fire is ruled accidental, but there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

No one was injured in the fire.


Click here to contribute your news or announcements Free