Family Escapes House Fire in Palm Bay
By Space Coast Daily // October 22, 2013
Fire Damage Estimated at $50,000
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY FLORIDA — A family of three escaped a house fire earlier this morning in Palm Bay.
According to Palm Bay Public Information Officer Yvonne Martinez, a mother, father and 3-year old boy along with the family dog woke up to smoke and flames coming from the garage and into the living room after what appears to be a vapor explosion.
Palm Bay firefighters responded to the home located at 1264 Valleybrook Road SE and immediately began suppression operations.
A vapor explosion in the garage blew the wall out between the garage and the living room. At that point the smoke alarms activated and the family immediately evacuated the home. No one was injured.
The fire consumed the attic over the garage and there was smoke damage throughout the home.
Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey responded to the scene to conduct an investigation and learned that just prior to going to sleep for the night the male homeowner had been working on his motorcycle inside the garage.
“That most likely created gasoline vapors within the enclosed garage,” Bailey said.
“It looks like the water pump which is also located in the garage most likely sparked upon starting and ignited the vapor.”
The investigation is ongoing. The 2000 square foot concrete block home has an estimated value of $170,000 and the fire caused approximately $50,000 damage.