Port Cuts Ribbon On Exploration Tower
By Matt O'Hern // November 4, 2013
60th anniversary of the harbor
PORT CANAVERAL, FLORIDA – With community input into the name selected, the new Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral will officially open to the public today immediately following a special invitation-only Media/VIP event for community leaders as part of the Canaveral Port Authority’s celebration of the 60th anniversary of the harbor’s dedication.
The $23 million, seven-story facility features an observation deck, exhibits, event space for lease, auditorium, gift shop and café.
The iconic 22,000 square foot structure is expected to be a magnet for visitors to Brevard County, Florida and convey the rich maritime history of Port Canaveral, as well as reflect the stories of the region, including military battles, space, and beach culture.
EXPLORATION TOWER FACTS & STATS
• Hours of Operation: Opens at 9 a.m. with closing varying between 5 and 8 p.m.
• Iconic $23 million structure with 7-stories and 23,000 square feet
• Indoor and outdoor observation decks with panoramic views
• Gift shop and cafe
• 80-seat auditorium with short film featuring port and area history
• Virtual ship’s bridge allows visitors to pilot boat through the Canaveral Channel
• Displays/exhibits on natural history, eco-tourism, sports, space & maritime history
• Admission Fees: $6.50 for adults; $3.50 for children; discounts for Brevard residents, seniors, and military personnel with proper ID.
• Event space is available. For leasing rates, contact Tara Ruch at 321-783-7831.
SEE RELATED STORY: Port Canaveral Culmination of A Long Awaited Dream
Monday, Nov. 4 – 8:30 – 10:30 a.m.
• Special Invitation-Only Media/VIP Event for Community Leaders
• Ribbon-cutting & Breakfast: 8:30 a.m./Program, film screening & tours: 9 a.m.
• Exploration Tower officially opens to general public immediately following VIP event
Saturday Nov. 9, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
60th Anniversary Community celebration at Exploration Tower in the Cove
• Outside activities are free
• $3 reduced admission for Tower visitors donating a non-perishable food item to Central Brevard Sharing Center. (Monetary proceeds to benefit transportation fund of Port curriculum-based EMBARK program for Brevard County third-graders) Offer good from Friday until Sunday.
• Music by Simone & the Supercats
• Kids Zone, including face painting and laser games
• Ballroom Dance Exhibition and Group Lessons by Melbourne Ballroom
• 60s Costume Contest (Come dressed and compete for prizes)
• Classic Car Show & Parade
• Cove Marketplace Vendors
ABOVE VIDEO: TCD Board Member Tom Williamson at Exploration Tower’s grand opening in Port Canaveral on Florida’s Space Coast