BCFR Crews Extinguish Fire in Merritt Island

By  //  January 1, 2014

Loading the player ...
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

Two-story residential structure was abandoned

ABOVE VIDEO: According to Brevard County Fire Rescue’s public information officer Lee Nessel, BCFR was called at 12:42 a.m. with a report of a structure with visible flames. The boarded-up home appeared to be abandoned and was about 70 percent involved when the first crews arrived.

BREVARD COUNTY• MERRITT ISLAND, FLORIDA – Brevard County Fire Rescue crews responded to a fire on the 200 block of Palmetto Avenue on Merritt Island early New Year’s Day.

Brevard County Fire Rescue crews responded to a fire on the 200 block of Palmetto Avenue on Merritt Island early New Year's Day. (SpaceCoastDaily.com image)

Brevard County Fire Rescue crews responded to a fire on the 200 block of Palmetto Avenue on Merritt Island early New Year’s Day. (SpaceCoastDaily.com image)

According to Brevard County Fire Rescue’s public information officer Lee Nessel, the call came at 12:42 a.m. reporting a structure with visible flames. The boarded-up home appeared to be abandoned and was about 70 percent involved when the first crews arrived.

Seven apparatus were on scene, in addition to two district chiefs. Firefighters had the fire under control within a half hour, but continued to overhaul it until completely knocked down after about an hour and 10 minutes.

Seven apparatus were on scene, in addition to two district chiefs. Firefighters had the fire under control within a half hour, but continued to overhaul it until completely knocked down after about an hour and 10 minutes.

Command officers determined it was unsafe to send any firefighters inside to overhaul, so the effort continued outside — a safer strategy than entering the structure. No one was inside the home and no other structures were threatened.

One firefighter was taken to Cape Canaveral Hospital with a minor injury.

A county inspector was called to the scene, and a state fire marshal was requested. The state fire marshal ruled the cause was electrical.

[gmarker marker_latitude=”” marker_longitud=”” marker_label=””] [/gmarker] [gmarker marker_latitude=”” marker_longitud=”” marker_label=””] [/gmarker]

DEVELOPING STORY. STAY TUNED TO SPACECOASTDAILY.COM FOR UPDATES


Click here to contribute your news or announcements Free