Vote For the Design of NASA’s New Spacesuit
By Space Coast Daily // March 26, 2014
NASA's Z-2 Suit is the newest prototype spacesuit
ABOVE VIDEO: The new Z-1 spacesuit is designed to be more maneuverable and more flexible. It features a large port in the back that astronauts can use to enter the suit from a vehicle.
NASA.gov — In order to protect NASA astronauts embarking on a new class of mission, NASA has to build a new class of spacesuit.
NASA’s Z-2 Suit is the newest prototype in its next-generation spacesuit platform and NASA is giving you the chance to vote on which one of three design concepts will be built.
As a follow-up to the previous Z-1 suit, which was named one of Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2012, the Z-2 takes the next step in fidelity approaching a final flight-capable design. Most exciting, the Z-2 marks several milestones for NASA:
• First surface-specific planetary mobility suit to be tested in full vacuum
• First use of 3D human laser scans and 3D-printed hardware for suit development and sizing
• Most advanced use of impact resistant composite structures on a suit upper and lower torso system
• First integration of the suit-port concept with a hard upper torso suit structure
• Most conformal and re-sizeable hard upper torso suit built to date