Health First Hospitals Support Organ, Tissue Donation
By Health First // April 8, 2014
Flag Raising Ceremonies Being Held To Highlight Importance of Organ and Tissue Donation
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – All Health First hospitals are taking part in National Donate Life Month by hosting flag raising ceremonies during the month of April.
Founded in 1995, Health First is Central Florida’s only fully integrated health system and employs more than 7,500 people and has four hospitals, including Holmes Regional Medical Center, Palm Bay Hospital, Cape Canaveral Hospital and Viera Hospital.
Each hospital is joining the “Flags Across America” campaign to honor those who have donated life-saving organs and tissue. Health First Holmes Regional Center Medical Center held a special ceremony last week and the event featured two parents who donated their son’s organs following an ATV accident.
Through this particular donation, five lives were saved through organ donation and many others were enhanced through tissue donation.
Register online at Health-First.org/yes to be an organ and tissue donor.
ORGAN DONATION STSTS & FACTS
• In 2013, Health First saved 49 lives through organ donations.
• In 2013, Health First had 79 tissue donors with an estimated number of recipients of 3,950.
• Last year, Health First Holmes Regional Medical Center received TransLife’s Award of Excellence for exceptional hospital and clinical quality performance practices.
• Last year alone, almost 28,000 lives were saved in the United States thanks to organ donors.
• More than 100,000 children and adults are still waiting for the life-saving gift of organ donation.
• The flag raising ceremonies are co-sponsored by TransLife, the federally-designated organ donation program for East Central Florida.
Health First Health Plans also offers a wide variety of health insurance plan options for Brevard and Indian River Counties. In addition, Health First is home to Brevard County’s only Trauma Center. Health First Medical Group is the largest multi-specialty physician group on the Space Coast. Health First offers numerous outpatient and wellness services, including four Pro-Health and Fitness Centers.
Visit Health-First.org for more information.