Space Coast Sports Hall Opens Today At Eastern Florida
By Space Coast Daily // April 25, 2014
ribbon cutting set for friday, April 25 at 6 p.m
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The formal ribbon-cutting for the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame’s re-location to the athletics building at Eastern Florida State’s Melbourne Campus will be held Friday, April 25 at 6 p.m.
The main athletic building (Building 6) on the Melbourne Campus will host the 83-member Hall of Fame, as portraits of the Hall of Famers are displayed on the wall in the building’s main hallway that runs parallel to the gym and outside the athletic department offices. Memorabilia items and related sports artifacts will be added to the display over time.
“We are very excited about another opportunity to assist the sports community and showcase some of our own former players and coaches who are members of the Hall of Fame and also to recognize those who have made an impact in our community through athletics,” said Jeff Carr, Associate Vice President for Athletics. “This would not be possible without the support of our college President Dr. Jim Richey.”
The ribbon-cutting ceremony will include past and current Hall of Fame inductees, special guests and Hall of Fame and Eastern Florida State College officials.
SPACE COAST SPORTS HALL OF FAME TO INDUCT CLASS OF 2014
The 2014 class of the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame features another impressive array of outstanding individuals, and will be inducted on May 9 during a special ceremony at the Cocoa Beach Country Club.
For more than a century, athletes from Brevard have been considered among the finest in America and their accomplishments are honored and immortalized by the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame.
Dozens of nominees were considered for the 2014 class in four categories including professional sports, college sports, high school sports and amateur sports. Special honorary recognition will also be bestowed upon individuals and teams that have made significant contributions to sports on the Space Coast.
INDUCTEES AND CATEGORIES ARE:
• Professional Category inductees are Geoff Bodine, Auto Racing; Doug Flutie, Football; and C.J and Damien Hobgood, Surfing.
• College Category inductees are Lisa Davidson, Softball; Cal Dixon, Football; Billy Horschel, Golf; and Katie Stengel, Soccer.
• Prep Category inductees are Mike Cadore, Football; Kevin Deaton, Baseball and Football; Taylor Jordan, Baseball; and James McGriff, Football.
• Amateur Category inductees are Jim Brackin, Softball; Bob Freeman, Surfing; Don and Denise Piercy, Sports Development; Rebecca Sparks, Running; and Wyatt Werneth, Paddle boarding.
• Coaching Category inductees are Jeanne Andrews, Multi-sport; Dan Burke, Football; Angie Patrick, Volleyball; and Mike Riazzi, Football.
• Lifetime Achievement inductees are Rusty Buchanan and Jack Kenworthy.
• Special recognition will go to Charlie LaRoche, Sports Development; Peter Kerasotis, Sports Journalism; Florida Tech Football, Pioneer Award; Mary Ramba, Challenger Award; and Palm Bay Rockets, Team of the Year.
SpaceCoastDaily.com will highlight each of the inductees with a tribute video beginning May 1, and in a special edition of Space Coast Medicine & Active Living magazine features the Space Coast Hall of Fame Class of 2014.
ABOVE VIDEO: SpaceCoastDaily.com’s Keith Malone talks with Tim Wakefield about his induction into the inaugural class of the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame in 2012.
2014 HALL OF FAME INDUCTION BANQUET SET FOR MAY 9
Seating for the 2014 Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame Induction Banquet and Sports Awards, which will be held at the Cocoa Beach County Club on May 9, will be limited to just 400, so don’t delay in making your reservations.
The festivities, sponsored by First Choice Medical Group, include a meet and greet with the area’s sports royalty, dinner and the induction proceeding which includes compelling video tributes of each of the inductees.
For information and reservations for the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame 2014 Induction Gala, e-mail MaverickMultimedia@gmail.com or call 321-615-8111. To see all of the members of the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame log on to SpaceCoastDaily.com