Humane Society Offers Independence Day Pet Tips
By Space Coast Daily // June 27, 2014
$15 microchipping now available
ABOVE VIDEO: Learn how microchipping works and watch as a vet microchips a dog. To help reunite owners with missing pets, the Central Brevard Humane Society in Cocoa, will be offering a special price of $15 ($25 reg.) to local residents to have their pets microchipped in advance of Independence Day, beginning June 21st through July 3rd.
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA — The Central Brevard Humane Society would like to remind Brevard County pet owners to take extra care during the July 4th holiday.
Dogs and cats hear 10 times better than humans do, and some of this keener hearing is in the higher frequency range typical of fireworks.
These types of sounds can be very stressful for pets and cause them to panic, become disoriented or even lost.
If possible, keep pets inside and occupied during these celebrations. Talk in a soothing voice and reassure them.
Cats will usually find a quiet hiding place to deal with the excitement; however, dogs can become overly excited and agitated.
Dogs will run through screen enclosures, chew through ropes and even break chains trying to get away from the noise.
• Do not take a pet to fireworks displays (public or private).
• Never leave a pet unattended inside a vehicle.
• Feed and walk dogs early before the fireworks start.
• Create a “safe room” for pets with the TV or radio on for familiar background noise.
• Consider staying at home if pets are extra-sensitive to loud noises.
• Ensure firm control of leashed pets to prevent running into traffic.
• Remember, frightened animals are more aggressive and prone to biting.
• If guests are coming into a home, put pets safely away from all the unusual activity. Animals can be unpredictable in crowds with loud noises.
• Make sure pets are wearing current Brevard animal license tags, so that if separated, you can be reunited with your pet.
To help reunite owners with missing pets, the Central Brevard Humane Society in Cocoa, will be offering a special price of $15 ($25 reg.) to local residents to have their pets microchipped in advance of Independence Day, beginning June 21 through July 3.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION