Lithium Batteries Cause Fire At Harris Building 5

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

no injuries as a result of the fire

BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – A plastic bin containing lithium batteries sparked a fire that caused about $3,000 damage to a building at the Harris Corporation on Palm Bay Road Tuesday afternoon.

A plastic bin containing lithium batteries sparked a fire that caused about $3,000 damage to a building at the Harris Corporation on Palm Bay Road Tuesday afternoon. (Image for SpaceCoastDaily.com)

A plastic bin containing lithium batteries sparked a fire that caused about $3,000 damage to a building at the Harris Corporation on Palm Bay Road Tuesday afternoon. (Image for SpaceCoastDaily.com)

Just before 1 p.m. Palm Bay Fire-Rescue responded to the 2400 block of Palm Bay Road. Approximately 30 employees from building 5 were evacuated due to smoke in the structure.

Firefighters quickly stopped the fire which started on the second floor. Further investigation revealed the point of origin was a plastic bin containing the lithium batteries which overheated and ignited.

Ron Bailey

Ron Bailey

“The problem with these lithium batteries is they tend to heat from within and at times can spontaneously combust,” said Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey.

“In this case because they were stored on top of the cabinet when they ignited it activated the building’s sprinkler system.”

There were no injuries as a result of the fire. Firefighters have cleared the building as safe to re-occupy.


Click here to contribute your news or announcements Free