Media Entities Support Brevard Clerk In Records Appeal
By Space Coast Daily // August 6, 2014
media groups filed their motion on August 5
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA — Fourteen major entities representing more than 35 individual print and television outlets have filed a motion for leave to file an amicus curiae brief in support of the Brevard County Clerk of the Circuit Court (the “Clerk”) in an appeal filed by the Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast, Inc. (the “EDC”) regarding whether or not the EDC’s files are subject to the Florida Public Records Act.
The EDC did not oppose the filing of the amicus brief by the media groups; the EDC’s initial brief is due to the District Court on September 11, 2014 pursuant to an agreed filing extension between the Clerk and the EDC.
The amici are represented by attorney Andrea Flynn Mogenson from Sarasota.
The Clerk is represented by Curt Jacobus and Alec Russell of GrayRobinson, P.A. and the Clerk’s staff counsel, Kevin McBride.
THE MEDIA GROUPS INCLUDE:
• First Amendment Foundation, Inc.
• The Associated Press
• The Bradenton Herald, Inc.
• The Florida Center for Investigative Reporting
• The Florida Press Association
• Florida Society of News Editors
• Halifax Media Group, LLC
• Miami Herald Media Company
• Morris Communications Corporation
• Orlando Sentinel Communications, LLC
• Palm Beach Newspapers, LLC
• Scripps Media, Inc.
• Sun-Sentinel Company, LLC
• Tampa Media Group