Brevard Cultural Alliance Announces New Directors
By Space Coast Daily // October 29, 2014
STUDY: BCA ADDS $68.5 MILLION TO LOCAL GDP
ABOVE VIDEO: Mike LaFortune, Past Chairman of the Brevard Cultural Alliance, announces results of the 2014 study on economic contributions of arts and culture on Florida’s Space Coast.
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Brevard Cultural Alliance (BCA) is pleased to announce the 2014-2015 Slate of Officers/Executive Committee.
The Board provides oversight of the organization and advocacy for the arts and cultural sector in the community. Members include:
• Karen Montas, Chair – Karen is an attorney with Johnson Law Center. She focuses her practice on assisting the injured throughout the State of Florida. Karen is an active volunteer with the Junior League of South Brevard and March of Dimes of the Space Coast.
• Jill Reyes, Chair Elect – Jill serves as an audit manager at McGladrey and is a CPA and Certified Internal Auditor. She holds an MBA from FIT and has lived in Brevard County for more than 10 years. Jill is also a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors, the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Florida Government Finance Officers Association.
• Rebecca Shireman, Vice Chair – Rebecca is the senior editor of Space Coast Living, Space Coast Living HEALTH and Space Coast Living HOME magazines. Rebecca is active in the Junior League of South Brevard, Melbourne Alumnae Panhellenic and the Women’s Business Center at Florida Tech.
• Therrin Protze, Vice Chair – Therrin is the Chief Operating Officer at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, operated by Delaware North Companies. Therrin is also active in the local community and serves on several community Boards of Directors.
• Michelle Naberhaus, Vice Chair – Michelle has her own legal firm, Naberhaus Law, and practices in the areas of civil litigation, trust and estate administration and litigation, and guardianship. Michelle serves on boards for various professional and charitable organizations at the local and State level.
• Dicksy Chrostowski, Secretary – Dicksy serves as Chief of the Public Services Division for NASA at the Kennedy Space Center. She started her career with NASA in 1990 and has served various functions in the Chief Financial Office, Human Resources, and the Education and External Relations Office. She is passionate about partnering KSC with the local community and ensuring that Brevard County is kept a vibrant and an attractive place for families to reside.
• Jack Kirschenbaum, Legal – Jack is a Senior Partner at Gray|Robinson and a highly respected and experienced civil trial lawyer. He holds more than 30 years of courtroom experience in civil litigation and has been recognized by Florida Super Lawyers in the area of General Litigation. Jack is a former Chair of the BCA Board and currently serves on the Board of the Astronaut Memorial Foundation as well.
• Kathleen Thomas-Beck, Financial Counsel – Kathy has been a practicing CPA in Brevard for 25 years. She is a Partner with McGladrey, the fifth largest accounting firm in the country. She serves on the executive committee for the State of Florida, and leads the statewide consulting practice.
She has received the McGladrey Employee of the Year honor, given to one of 8,000 employees who exemplify teamwork, integrity and excellence.
• Jim Haworth, Past Chair – Jim has a strong background in general management, finance and marketing. His rise in the lighting industry began when he served concurrently as the president and CEO of JJI Lighting Group, overseeing its general management, operations, finance and manufacturing. Jim was honored by the White House as a Champion of Change in 2011.
“With the approval of the 2014-2015 Board of Directors Executive Committee, we are ready to begin an exciting new fiscal year,” said BCA Executive Director Neil Levine.
“I am pleased to see the diversity in background of our board members and I am confident that we have a group that will continue advocating strongly for Brevard County’s thriving arts and cultural sector.”
The BCA provides artist residencies in numerous public schools, has a thriving Art in Public Places temporary exhibitions program, helps build collaborative working groups on issues of importance to the sector, supports the development of cultural destination, and holds capacity-building workshops for artists and cultural organizations.
The BCA administers the County Community Cultural Grant program on behalf of the Brevard County Board of County Commissioners. BCA and the Space Coast Office of Tourism coordinate promotion of events for participating organizations through the Cultural Marketing Initiative.
The organization also promotes area artists, arts organizations and arts and cultural events to our residents and our visitors.
According to the BCA website, “Our vision is to promote Brevard County as a cultural destination in Florida, where communities are strengthened through embracing art and culture.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE BCA