Eastern Florida’s Dr. Laura Earle Receives Educator Award
By John J. Glisch, Eastern Florida // January 11, 2015
Earle is a Professor of Veterinary Technology
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Dr. Laura Earle, a Professor of Veterinary Technology, has received the prestigious Distinguished Educator Recognition Award for 2014 from Eastern Florida State College.
Earle, who teaches on the Cocoa campus, was selected for her accomplishments in the classroom and as a role model to colleagues and students.
“Dr. Earle exemplifies the outstanding faculty we have at Eastern Florida,” said Dr. Linda Miedema, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Learning Officer.
“She has a passion for students and a dedication to education that’s inspiring and is replicated by other faculty members every day. She has touched many lives and made a profound impact during her career.”
Earle came to the college in 2005 and has a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from the University of Florida.
She serves on a number of committees, including the Academic Affairs Council, Curriculum Development Committee and Diversity Committee.
She is also vice president of the United Faculty of Florida Brevard Chapter.
Sandra Lanza, an Associate Professor of Radiology, praised Earle in a nomination letter, saying her achievements are “too numerous to even attempt to mention.”
“As program manager of the Veterinary Technology Program, Dr. Earle has led the program to new heights,” said Lanza. “She has embraced her role as lead faculty and has endeavored to provide the students with quality instruction and educational experience.”
The Distinguished Educator Award began in 1989 and is presented annually to a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in scholarship, instructional effectiveness and connecting with students.
Nominations are be made by faculty, students and staff, which representatives from each comprising the selection committee.
Earle was among 13 educators nominated for the award. The other nominees were:
• Robert Young, Associate Professor, Mathematics, Palm Bay campus
• Marina Baratian, Professor, Psychology, Melbourne campus
• Dr. Katina Gothard, Professor, Mathematics, Palm Bay campus
• Joseph Wakim, Associate Professor, Mathematics, Melbourne campus
• Maureen Groome, Instructor, English, Melbourne campus
• Dr. Chris Petrie, Professor, Chemistry, Titusville campus
• Mark Marovich, Professor, Mathematics, Titusville campus
• Jeanie Dent, Instructor, Dental Hygiene, Cocoa campus
• Dr. Robert Lamb, Professor, Music, Cocoa campus
• Mansoor Khan, Assistant Professor, Humanities, Cocoa campus
• Aaron Houts, Instructor, Spanish, Palm Bay campus
• Deborah Anderson-Mosby, Professor, Library Science, Palm Bay campus