Melbourne Police Actively Seeking Qualified Applicants For Career In Law Enforcement
By Space Coast Daily // March 21, 2016
an Approved for Veteran’s Training agency
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – The Melbourne Police Department is actively seeking individuals who want a challenging career in a professional environment.
The Department is an “Approved for Veteran’s Training” agency. This means that probationary police officers who are qualifying veterans and were Florida LEO certified after January 11, 2007, may be eligible for additional monthly benefits.
The “Montgomery GI Bill” supports this on-the-job training benefit. For more information, visit www.gibill.va.gov, or call 888-442-4551.
The Melbourne Police Department offers a salary competitive with other local law enforcement agencies. The current starting salary for Patrol Officers is $39,230 per year with a top salary range of $59,767. Sergeants earn up to $68,989 and Lieutenant’s earn up to $82,292. The city also provides a 4% shift differential pay for officers assigned to evening and midnight shifts as well as incentive pay for specialty teams.
• A pension fund that allows officers to retire at 75% of their salary after completing 25 years of service. An additional benefit is a five year DROP program.
• A pre-tax Deferred Compensation program to assist you in saving and planning for retirement.
• A tuition reimbursement plan for continuing college education.
• Choice of Health First Health plans for the employee and dependents as well as Healthways Prime Fitness, which provides access to 8,500 gym locations.
• 9 Paid Holidays
• Vacation Accrual beginning at 104 hours and up to 200 hours annually
• 96 hours paid annual sick leave
• Optional dental insurance plan
• Up to 120 hours per year of comp time accrual
• Take Home Cars
• Department-Issued Weapons
The Department provides several lateral transfer opportunities within in the agency. These include Detective, School Resource Officer, Community Resource Officer, Tactical Team, Special Operations Unit, and Selective Traffic Enforcement Unit. Other ancillary functions such as SWAT, Dive Rescue Team, Crisis Negotiation Unit and Honor Guard are also available.
Contact Officer Nicole Gould at 321-608-6321 or email@example.com for more information.