U.S. Coast Guard Urges Boaters To Prepare For Impending Severe Weather
By Space Coast Daily // August 30, 2016
tropical depression to impact BREVARD Thursday
PORT CANAVERAL, FLORIDA – The Coast Guard is encouraging boaters Tuesday to prepare for severe weather due to a developing tropical depression, which is expected to impact central Florida Thursday.
The National Hurricane Center reports the disturbance is favorable for tropical development, resulting in a minimum of heavy rains and gusty winds. All boaters and beachgoers are strongly encouraged to monitor weather conditions.
Adverse weather effects generated by a tropical storm or hurricane can cover an area hundreds of miles wide. Additionally, recreational boaters and commercial vessels outside of the direct path of the storm are advised to be aware of weather conditions and take appropriate precautions to stay safe.
“Boaters are always encouraged to pay close attention to the seriousness of the storm and take the necessary safety precautions,” said Lt. Jarrod A. Owens, command duty officer at Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville. “Please monitor all weather warnings and take the time to ensure your vessel, family and property are properly taken care of before the storm arrives.”
Here are a few tips to help mariners protect themselves, their families and their vessels:
• Do not go out to sea in a recreational boat if you know a storm is approaching.
• Contact local marinas to ask for advice about securing your vessel.
• Marina operators are knowledgeable and can advise you on the best methods to secure your boat.
• Take action now. The effects of a storm can be felt well in advance, and bridge schedules can and often shift from their normal operating schedule. Check with local authorities before entering any storm-damaged area.
• When removing your EPIRB from your vessel, ensure it does not inadvertently activate which could signal a false alert. Furthermore, once the severe weather has passed, mariners are reminded to ensure the EPIRB devices are placed back on their vessels prior to the vessel’s next use.
• Do not try to board a partially sunken boat. Seek salvage assistance from a professional. Storms move quickly and are unpredictable.
For current weather information, please visit the National Hurricane Center’s web page at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
STAY TUNED TO SPACE COAST DAILY FOR WEATHER UPDATES