Brevard County Mosquito Tech Prevents Major Damage, Possible Injury As Home Catches Fire
By Space Coast Daily // September 25, 2016
occupant home and unaware of fire
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – A Brevard County Mosquito Control technician spotted a fire at a Melbourne home, alerted the unsuspecting homeowner and then helped fight the fire while on the job Monday night.
Jonathan Koagel, a Technician 1 for Mosquito Control, was fogging for mosquitoes at about 8:30 p.m. Monday on Alan Adale Road in Melbourne when he spotted the fire.
Koagel said he knocked on the home’s door and yelled, getting the attention of the home’s occupant who was inside cooking dinner.
The fire apparently started on the carport after a cigar the home’s occupant had previously smoked outside ignited a pile of moving blankets. The fire spread to the roof and toward the home’s front door, Koagel said.
There were no injuries, and Koagel and the occupant were able to fight the fire by using a fire extinguisher and a water hose until firefighters arrived.
Koagel’s quick action helped limit damage to the property and may have prevented injury to the unaware occupant.
Koagel’s actions earned him nomination for a Brevard County Government Excellence in Action award by his supervisor, Keith Minner. Koagel has been employed by Brevard County Mosquito Control for more than 5 years.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE BREVARD COUNTY NEWS