Cocoa Tigers No.1 Ranked Football Team in Central Florida In Bright House Sports Top 20
By Bright House Sports Network // September 21, 2016
No.1 Cocoa faces No.7 Viera Friday night
BREVARD COUNTY , FLORIDA –Below are the weeks Top 20 high school football team in Central Florida (Orlando-East to Coast). They are selected by the Bright House Sports Network staff.
In all, five teams from the Space Coast are ranked in the BHSN Top 20.
The Viera Hawks No.7, Palm Bay Pirates No.10, Heritage Panthers No.13 and cracking the poll for the first time this year is the Melbourne Central Catholic Hustlers.
MCC has looked impressive to start the 2016 season. Under the leadership of first year head coach Stacey Sizemore and junior quarterback Jaquine Collazo, the Hustlers have score 50 points twice and over 40 in their other two contests.
ABOVE VIDEO: Joaquin Collazo speaks with Alan Zlotorzynski of the Friday Night Locker Room following their big 54-14 victory over Holy Trinity last Friday night
ORLANDO – CENTRAL BREVARD
The top high school football teams in Central Florida, as selected by the Bright House Sports Network staff:
1. Cocoa (2-1) – Tigers took awhile to get going on Friday but reeled off 28 unanswered points in the second quarter to pull away from Lake Highland.
2. Apopka (4-0) – Jarvis Ware intercepted a pass in the end zone to preserve a come from behind 15-14 victory over Dr. Phillips.
3. Mainland (4-0) – Bucs figure to get their biggest test of the season thus far with a matchup against Dr. Phillips on Friday.
4. Dr. Phillips (3-1) – For the second consecutive season, Panthers let a 14-point halftime lead slip away in loss to Apopka.
5. Osceola (4-0) – Kowboys head to the Space Coast to meet unbeaten Heritage in the BHSN Game of the Week.
6. Seminole (3-0) – ‘Noles seized control of 8A, District 2 with a convincing 35-21 win against Orange City University.
7. Viera (3-1) – Brevard County supremacy is on the line this week as the Hawks play host to No. 1 Cocoa.
8. Orange City University (3-1) – Titans hope to bounce back from Seminole loss with another important district game at Lake Brantley.
9. Bishop Moore (3-1) – Hornets opened district play by annihilating Poinciana 54-0.
10. Palm Bay (2-0) – Pirates blanked Rockledge 24-0 to complete their second consecutive shutout.
11. Hagerty (3-0) – Huskies easily handled Lake Minneola 37-0, pitching just their fourth shutout in the last seven seasons.
12. South Sumter (2-0) – Raiders are averaging more than 40 points per game and figure to get a good test this week from Trinity Catholic (1-1).
13. Heritage (3-0) – Panthers needed a late touchdown to get past Eau Gallie
14. Timber Creek (3-1) – Wolves defense came through with a couple key fourth down stops in a 19-7 victory over Wekiva.
15. Lake Nona (3-0) – Lions roared to a 35-0 lead against Liberty and withstood a rally to win 57-42.
16. Winter Park (3-1) – Since season opening loss to Lake Nona, Wildcats have outscored opponents 138-27 in three dominating victories.
17. Jones (4-0) – Junior quarterback Quadry Jones has thrown for 11 touchdowns and three interceptions as the Tigers have shredded opposing secondaries.
18. Matanzas (2-0) – Pirates continue a run of three consecutive road games with a matchup against Sebreeze.
19. Melbourne Central Catholic (4-0) – Hustlers make their first appearance in the rankings after blasting Holy Trinity 54-14.
20. East Ridge (2-1) – Knights will play six district games starting with Friday’s homecoming contest against Ocoee.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE BREVARD COUNTY SPORTS NEWS