Five Brevard County Teams Ranked In Bright House Sports Top 20 Football Rankings
By Bright House Sports // September 27, 2016
Tigers remain Top ranked team in central florida
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA (BHSN) –Brevard County remains well represented following Week 5 of high school football in the Bright House Sports Top 20 High School Football.
The Cocoa Tigers began the season number one in the Bright House Sports High School Football Top 20 and remain there following their weather shortened 17-7 victory Friday night over the eighth ranked Viera Hawks.
A lot will be determined in the next few weeks as the top ranked Tigers will host the second ranked Mainland Buccaneers next week at Tigers Stadium in what could be the game of the year for Central Florida.
In what could be another game of the of the year, the number nine ranked Palm Bay Pirates will host Viera on October 7.
The Heritage Panthers stayed in the poll despite losing to fifth ranked Osceola and the Melbourne Central Catholic Hustlers moved up to No.17 after another 50-point output.
The top high school football teams in Central Florida, as selected by the Bright House Sports Network staff:
1. Cocoa (3-1) – Tigers topped Viera 17-7 in a game that was called with 10 seconds remaining in the third quarter due to bad weather.
2. Mainland (5-0) – Quarterback Denzel Houston accounted for more than 350 yards of offense as the Bucs blasted Dr. Phillips 42-21.
3. Apopka (5-0) – Blue Darters smashed Orlando University 54-3 and will meet district rival West Orange this week.
4. Seminole (4-0) – ‘Noles held DeLand under 100 yards of total offense to record their second straight shutout of the Bulldogs.
5. Osceola (5-0) – Kowboys defense smothered Heritage and came up with a late fourth down stand for a 14-6 win on BHSN.
6. Dr. Phillips (3-2) – For the second straight season, Panthers suffered back-to-back losses to Apopka and Mainland.
7. Bishop Moore (3-1) – Hornets return from their bye week to match up against South Lake in a 5A, District 13 game.
8. Viera (3-2) – Hawks offense has managed just 20 total points the last 2 games against stout defenses from Lakeland Kathleen, Cocoa.
9. Palm Bay (4-0) – After only recording one shutout last year, Pirates have already blanked three opponents already this season.
10. Jones (4-0) – Quarterback Quadry Jones completed 10 passes, five for touchdowns as the Tigers throttled West Orange 48-24.
11. Hagerty (4-0) – Running back Leo Gomez scored three touchdowns in the third quarter to ignite the Huskies offense in a 41-0 victory against Ocala West Port.
12. South Sumter (3-0) – Raiders rallied from a 20-7 halftime deficit to defeat Trinity Catholic 27-20.
13. Timber Creek (4-1) – Wolves had little trouble with Freedom in advance of this week’s district showdown against Winter Park.
14. Heritage (3-1) – Young Panthers scrapped to stay in the game with No. 5 Osceola and a feisty defense held Kowboys scoreless in second half during 14-6 loss.
15. Wekiva (3-2) – Jaylon Fair scored four touchdowns as the Mustangs shocked Winter Park in a 35-7 upset victory.
16. Matanzas (4-0) – Pirates haven’t allowed more than 13 points in any game this season.
17. Melbourne Central Catholic (5-0) – Hustlers are averaging 48.8 points per game headed into this week’s showdown against undefeated Lakeland Christian.
18. Lake Mary (2-2) – Wins over Lake Brantley and Lyman have the Rams tied for the top spot in 8A, District 2.
19. Lake Brantley (3-2) – Patriots defense forced four turnovers as Brantley knocked off Orange City University 35-26.
20. Orange City University (3-2) – Titans will need to win their remaining district games and get some help to have a chance at the postseason.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY SPORTS