New Central Florida High School Football Rankings Lists Four Space Coast Teams In Top 15
By Austin Lyon, Bright House Sports Network // September 9, 2016
Cocoa High School Ranked No. 1
(Bright House Sports Network) – The top high school football teams in Central Florida, as selected by the Bright House Sports Network staff:
1. Cocoa (1-1) – Tigers played with nation’s top ranked team for a half before getting outscored 27-0 in final two quarters of 46-10 loss to Nevada’s Bishop Gorman.
2. Apopka (2-0) – Blue Darters set a program record for margin of victory with a 78-0 annihilation of Edgewater.
3. Dr. Phillips (2-0) – Defensive back Tanner Ingle has already scored a TD in three different ways: kick return, punt return and interception return.
4. Mainland (1-0) – Hurricane Hermine forced Mainland’s game with Bartram Trail to move to Monday afternoon.
5. Bishop Moore (2-0) – Hornets face Orange City University for the first time ever in Friday’s BHSN Game of the Week.
6. Orange City University (2-0) – Junior running back Lorenzo Lingard scored five first half touchdowns as the Titans blasted New Smyrna Beach 63-26.
7. Osceola (2-0) – Kowboys defense intercepted Oviedo three times, helping the Kowboys to an impressive 55-15 victory against the Lions.
8. Seminole (1-0) – Friday’s matchup with Spruce Creek starts a run of three consecutive games against Volusia County opponents.
9. Viera (1-1) – Penalties and turnovers doomed the Hawks in a 31-19 loss to Gonzaga (Washington, D.C.) on Saturday night.
10. Palm Bay (2-0) – Pirates are off this week before opening their district schedule next Friday with a road game against an improved Rockledge (0-1) squad.
11. Hagerty (1-0) – Huskies erased an early deficit against Winter Springs by scoring 34 unanswered points for a 41-18 season opening win.
12. South Sumter (1-0) – Raiders’ game with Freedom was cancelled and will not be made up, leaving South Sumter with nine regular season games.
13. Heritage (2-0) – Panthers are off this week after winning their first two games by a combined 11 points.
14. Lake Brantley (2-0) – Patriots offense managed only one touchdown against Titusville as starting quarterback Marcus Dequattro left the game with an injury.
15. Oviedo (1-1) – Lions have no time to dwell on Osceola loss with a game against rival Hagerty this week.
16. Timber Creek (1-1) – Peter Hayes-Patrick scored three first half touchdowns as the Wolves had no trouble with Oak Ridge in a 44-0 win.
17. Lake Nona (2-0) – A pair of close victories have helped the Lions flip the script on last season’s 0-2 start.
18. Winter Park (1-1) – Notre Dame commit Jordan Pouncey rushed for three first half touchdowns to spark the Wildcats to a 50-14 win against West Orange.
19. West Orange (1-1) – Warriors take on Dr. Phillips this week with an opportunity to bounce back from a lackluster performance against Winter Park.
20. Jones (2-0) – Tigers, who have allowed only six points in two games, are on the road for their first five games of the season.