Halloween Safety Tips For Kids From Local Police Around Brevard County
By Space Coast Daily // October 31, 2016
Tips To Keep Kids Safe
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – On average, children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween as on any other day of the year. (According to Kid Safe Worldwide)
Here are some top Halloween safety tips…
1. Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors. Since masks can sometimes obstruct a child’s vision, try non-toxic face paint and makeup whenever possible.
2. Have kids use glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
3. Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, remind them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
4. Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
5. When selecting a costume make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.