Ecuador Admits It ‘Temporarily Restricted’ WikiLeaks Founder Assange’s Internet Access

By  //  October 19, 2016

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

State Department denies any allegations

ABOVE VIDEO: ‘On the Record’ looks at the most explosive Clinton-related emails released by Wikileaks.

(FOX NEWS) – Ecuador’s government acknowledged Tuesday that it has “temporarily restricted” internet access at its embassy in London for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange after the website published a trove of documents from Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

The foreign ministry said in a statement that while it stands by its decision in 2012 to grant Assange asylum in London, it doesn’t interfere in foreign elections or “support a candidate in particular.”

The ministry didn’t specify the extent of the restrictions on Assange’s internet access, saying only that the restrictions on his communications wouldn’t affect WikiLeaks’ ability to carry out its journalistic activities.

Leftist President Rafael Correa’s government said it was acting on its own and not ceding to foreign pressures.

On Monday, the group tweeted: “We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange’s internet access Saturday, 5pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton’s Goldman Sachs (speeches).” In follow-up messages posted Tuesday, the group claimed U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry had personally intervened to ask Ecuador to stop Assange from publishing documents about Clinton. Citing “multiple US sources,” WikiLeaks said the request was made on the sidelines of negotiations which took place last month in Colombia.

The State Department denied the allegation.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE OF THIS STORY


Click here to contribute your news or announcements Free