- Be Alert! Scan the area as you walk – be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk with confidence, not like a potential victim.
- Don’t overload your arms with packages. It makes it hard for you to fend off an attacker.
- Always park in well-lit areas. Even in daylight hours, you may want to park near a light pole so that if you happen to leave when it is darker, your car will be in a well-lit location.
- If you feel nervous about getting to your car, please ask store or mall personnel for an escort by store security to your vehicle.
- Have your car key ready in your hand prior to leaving the store so you are not fumbling through your purse with your head down.
- Look around, under and in your car, especially the backseat, before you get in.
- Women should carry their purse so that it is under their arm, close to their body and the strap over their shoulder. If you use the restroom, try to avoid placing the purse on the coat hanger on the door or by placing it on the floor. It is somewhat common for thieves to quickly take purses from these locations.
- Men should carry their wallet in their front or hidden pocket to reduce the chance of theft or loss.
- If you think someone is following you or watching you, turn to him or her and look him or her straight in the eye. Change your direction and move to a crowded area where you can call for help. Contact store security or law enforcement to report the suspicious person.
- If assaulted, show anger or pretend you are going to faint or vomit.
- If sexually assaulted, consider urinating or defecating.
- Women may want to consider wearing flats over heals to improve mobility if needed.
- Walk against traffic so a vehicle can’t approach you from behind.
CLICK HERE for more crime prevention tips from the Brevard County Sheriff’s office.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS