Brevard County Has Five Teams Ranked In Top 15 In Latest Spectrum Sports Baseball Poll
By Space Coast Daily // March 17, 2017
Brevard County has No. 4, 5 and 6 teams in poll
ABOVE VIDEO: Rockledge Raiders Pitcher, JJ Lorenz and catcher Alec Christian, speak with Alan Zlotorzynski following the Raiders big 2-1 win last Friday night. The victory catapulted the Raiders into a No. 4 overall ranking in this weeks Spectrum Sports baseball poll, ahead of their rivals, the Merritt Island Mustangs.
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA (SPECTRUM SPORTS) — Five area Brevard County teams are ranked in this week’s Spectrum Sports Top 15 Baseball Poll.
The Rockledge Raiders rank fourth in the poll followed by their arch rivals, the Merritt Island Mustangs.
The Raiders knocked off the favored and now fifth ranked Mustangs, 2-1 at Clint Hurdle Field last week.
The win was the 15th time in the past 16 games head coach Greg Claiborne’s Raiders have beaten Merritt Island.
The Viera Hawks are lurking just behind both teams sitting at No.6.
Led by junior Thomas Berry on the hill and in the batters box, the Hawks are 7-2 overall.
Berry is 4-0 with 0.39 era on the mound and at the plate he is batting .481 with 15 RBI’s, two doubles, a triple and one round tripper on the season.
ABOVE VIDEO: Rockledge High School head baseball coach Greg Claiborne speaks with Space Coast Daily and Friday Night Locker Room following his teams 2-1 win over Merritt Island High School on Friday.
Melbourne Central Catholic is looking for a hat trick in boys varsity sports in terms of playoff success.
The football and basketball teams both went deep into the second season and it appears the Hustlers baseball team is poised to do the same.
MCC went 30-2 last season and so far this year are outscoring opponents 75-15 through the first seven games.
The Eau Gallie Commodores are ranked No.15 and round out this weeks poll and teams from the Space Coast.
The top high school baseball teams in Central Florida, as selected by the Spectrum Sports Staff:
1. Lake Brantley (8-0) – Patriots have been outstanding on the mound so far, only allowing opponents to score a total of 10 runs in eight games.
2. West Orange (5-2) – Warriors of an imposing front line pitching duo of Cole Beavin (East Carolina) and Doug Nikhazy (Ole Miss).
3. First Academy (6-1) – Royals, the highest scoring team in Central Florida, have put up double digit runs in six of their seven games.
4. Rockledge (7-1) – Raiders were decimated by graduation last year but are off to a strong start and beat rival Merritt Island 2-1 on Friday night.
5. Merritt Island (5-1) – Mustangs, who last reached the state tournament in 2000, entered the season ranked 8th in the nation by PerfectGame.
6. Viera (6-1) – Only loss for the Hawks came 4-2 in extra innings against undefeated Atlantic Coast.
7. Bishop Moore (5-2) – Hornets have quality wins against West Orange, Hagerty and Trinity Prep.
8. Hagerty (5-2) – Last season’s 8A runner-up has won four straight games and has games this week against DeLand and Oviedo.
9. Olympia (7-1-1) – Titans explosive offense features Florida State commit Francis Villaman, one of the area’s top senior prospects.
10. Melbourne Central Catholic (7-0) – Hustlers, who went 30-2 last season, are outscoring opponents 75-15 through the first seven games.
Best of the Rest:
11. Apopka (5-3)
12. Orange City University (3-3)
13. South Sumter (4-0)
14. Seminole (4-4)
15. Eau Gallie (3-2)
CLICK HERE FOR MORE BREVARD COUNTY SPORTS
ABOVE VIDEO: Last week’s thrilling game between Rockledge and Merritt Island.