Seminoles Survive, Advance Vs. Florida Gulf Coast With 86-80 Win In First Round Of NCAA’s
By Tim Linafelt, Seminoles.com Senior Writer // March 17, 2017
Noles Face 11th seeded Xavier Sat 6:10 p.m.
ABOVE VIDEO: Highlights of FSU’s 86-80 win over Florida Gulf Coast in round one of NCAA tournament.
ORLANDO, FLORIDA (FSU SEMINOLES) – Terance Mann couldn’t see it, but he could hear it.
With a little more than a minute to go in the first half of Florida State’s game against Florida Gulf Coast in the first round of the NCAA tournament, FSU sophomore Dwayne Bacon went to the basket and threw down a one-handed jam that rivals any of the highlights he’s produced during his two seasons in Tallahassee.
That dunk, one of nine for FSU, stemmed the tide of an earlier FGCU run and helped propel the No. 3-seed Seminoles to an 86-80 victory over the 14th-seeded Eagles here at the Amway Center.
It also brought out the loudest roar from a lively crowd of 15,869 fans, most of which was evenly divided between FSU and FGCU supporters.
- Seminoles are now 15-14 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
- FSU is 9-6 all-time in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
- An FSU victory over Xavier would give the Seminoles 27 for the season, which would tie them for the school record of 27 set in 1972. The ’72 Seminoles played for the national championship.
- The Seminoles scored 12 fast-break to FGCU’s four, and also out-scored the Eagles in the paint, 44-36.
- Despite a cold night from 3-point range, the Seminoles still finished 30 of 54 (55.6 percent) from the field and enjoyed a 46-26 rebounding advantage.
- FSU connected on just 61.5 percent of its free-throw attempts, and was 5 of 8 at the line in the game’s final minute. That must be corrected if Noles want to keep advancing.
ABOVE VIDEO: Seminoles sophomore Dwayne Bacon talks to media, Space Coast Daily about the NCAA March Madness Tournament on Wednesday. Bacon scored a team high 25-points in FSU’s win over FGC.
ABOVE VIDEO: Dwayne Bacon turned into a human highlight reel during Thursday night’s win in round one of the NCAA Tournament.