HAWKS TRAVELOGUE: U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney Takes Viera Hawks On Tour of House Floor In Washington DC
By Alan Zlotorzynski, Assistant Editor // September 1, 2017
HAWKS TAKE ON Gonzaga AT 6:30 P.M.
HAWKS TRAVELOGUE: Space Coast Daily was live from Washington D.C. and the United States Capitol Building where Alan Zlotorzynzki recaps the Viera Hawk’s day as the team visited the U.S. Capitol Building. Alan also looks ahead to tonight’s game vs. Gonzaga.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Tom Rooney, the U.S. Representative for Florida’s 17th congressional district, a post he has held since 2012, hosted the Viera Hawks football team today at the United States Capitol building in Washington D.C. The tour included a rare opportunity to visit the House Floor.
Florida’s 17th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress, located in south-central Florida. The district includes a large area of Central Florida from eastern Tampa Bay to the western shores of Lake Okeechobee.
The Hawks was treated to a tour of the home of the United States Congress and the seat of the legislative branch of the U.S. federal government.
Like the principal buildings of the executive and judicial branches, the distinctive neoclassical building sits atop Capitol Hill at the eastern end of the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
Not only is the Capitol a symbol of the American people and their government but it also houses an important collection of American art.
Construction of the U.S. Capitol began in 1793. In November 1800, the U.S. Congress met in the first completed portion, the north wing. In the 1850s, major extensions to the North and South ends of the Capitol were authorized because of the great westward expansion of our nation and the resultant growth of Congress.
Since that time, the U.S. Capitol and its stately dome have become international symbols of our representative democracy.
The U.S. Capitol Visitor Center is the newest addition to this historic complex. At nearly 580,000 square feet, the Visitor Center is the largest project in the Capitol’s more than two-century history and is approximately three quarters the size of the Capitol itself.
The entire facility is located underground on the east side of the Capitol so as not to detract from the appearance of the Capitol and the grounds designed by Frederick Law Olmsted in 1874.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS