VIDEO RECIPE: Fresh From Florida – Gulf Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
By Fresh From Florida // September 18, 2017
PREP AND COOK TIME IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES
ABOVE VIDEO: Florida Gulf Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Stir Fry.
FRESH FROM FLORIDA— Florida farmers make it easy for everyone to eat fresh produce year-round. Due to the milder climate in the Sunshine State, fruits and vegetables grown in Florida are generally available earlier than those produced in other states.
In fact, most of Florida’s produce is available between October and June.
This allows you to enjoy fresh Florida tomatoes, oranges, bell peppers, strawberries, snap beans and squash during the winter months, and fresh Florida blueberries, sweet corn and watermelon in late spring.
Seafood and shellfish caught in Florida’s waters are available year-round.
So enjoy the bounty that Florida has to offer – and for delicious dishes, check out our “Fresh From Florida” recipes created by Chef Justin Timineri, Florida’s culinary ambassador.
Chef Justin Timineri’s mission is to encourage everyone to rediscover fresh, healthy Florida cuisine.
Florida Gulf Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
1 pound Florida shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Florida bell peppers, assorted colors, sliced
1 tablespoon Florida honey
1 cup Florida orange juice
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
Oil for cooking
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Lightly coat the shrimp with the cornstarch. Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the preheated sauté pan.
- Carefully add the coated shrimp to the sauté pan and cook until almost done, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and add the peppers and onions. Cook the peppers for 4 minutes.
- Add the honey, orange juice, and soy sauce to the pan. Turn the heat up slightly. Bring the liquid ingredients up to a boil. Turn the heat back down to medium-high and add the shrimp back to the sauté pan. The sauce should thicken and the shrimp will be cooked after 3 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice. Garnish with sesame seeds.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS