FRESH FROM FLORIDA VIDEO RECIPE: Flatbread Pizza with Florida Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers
By Fresh From Florida // October 10, 2017
PREP AND COOK TIME IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES
ABOVE VIDEO: Florida Flatbread with Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers.
FRESH FROM FLORIDA — Fall has arrived on the Space Coast and while the temperatures aren’t cooperating just yet, before you kow it, the first cool front will settle in and so will those chilly October and November eveinings.
Changes in temperature can spark a change in our taste buds. Cooler weather sometimes leaves us craving a comfort dish and something a bit more hearty. Is there a better comfort food than pizza?
How about a healthy pizza made with fresh florida vegetables to fill you up and knock off that chill.
Florida farmers make it easy for everyone to eat fresh produce year-round. Due to the milder climate in the Sunshine State, fruits and vegetables grown in Florida are generally available earlier than those produced in other states.
In fact, most of Florida’s produce is available between October and June. This allows you to enjoy fresh Florida tomatoes, oranges, bell peppers, strawberries, snap beans and squash during the winter months, and fresh Florida blueberries, sweet corn and watermelon in late spring.
Seafood and shellfish caught in Florida’s waters are available year-round.
So enjoy the bounty that Florida has to offer – and for delicious dishes, check out our “Fresh From Florida” recipes created by Chef Justin Timineri, Florida’s culinary ambassador.
Chef Justin Timineri’s mission is to encourage everyone to rediscover fresh, healthy Florida cuisine.
- 2 medium or 1 large baked flatbread or pizza crust
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (or your favorite
- ¼ cup fresh basil, hand torn
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large Florida bell pepper (red, yellow, green or ⅓ of all 3 colors), seeded and sliced thin
- 2 medium Florida tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread olive oil and garlic evenly over the flatbread.
- Evenly distribute three-fourths of the two cheeses over the flatbread.
- Evenly distribute the bell pepper and tomato over the cheese.
- Add remaining cheese to the top of the flatbread.
- Season the flatbread lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake flatbread on a cookie sheet for 7 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove flatbread from oven and garnish with the hand-torn basil.
- Cut flatbread into several servings and serve warm.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS