UCF Knights Improve To 8-0 After Big Road Win Against SMU 31-24, Milton Throws For Career-High
By Ian MacDougall, UCF Knights // November 5, 2017
Square off with UConn next Saturday at Spectrum Stadium
ABOVE VIDEO: Coach Frost, McKenzie Milton, Shaquem Griffin, Tre’Quan Smith, Tre Neal, Adrian Killins all talked after UCF Football’s 31-24 win at SMU.
ORLANDO, FLORIDA (UCF Knights) – Needing a late fourth-down stop, the UCF football team outlasted SMU on the road on Saturday night to win 31-24.
The No. 14/15 Knights set a new season-high with 615 yards of offense to improve to 8-0 on the season and 5-0 in American Athletic Conference play.
Quarterback McKenzie Milton threw for a career-high 412 yards on 23-of-40 passing with one touchdown. The Kapolei, Hawaii, native notched the seventh most passing yards in a game in program history. Milton also added a rushing touchdown. Adrian Killins Jr. rushed for a career-high 145 yards and kept the Knights out in front with touchdowns of 34 and 64 yards in the second and third quarters, respectively.
The Mustangs (6-3, 3-2) gave the Black and Gold its hardest challenge this season. SMU struck first on its opening play for an 86-yard touchdown pass from Ben Hicks to James Proche. Jordan Wyatt returned an interception for a touchdown in the second to even the score at 14-14. The Mustangs forced the Knights to commit a season-high three turnovers.
With the game tied at 7-7 in the second quarter, SMU running back Ke’Mon Freemon barreled inside the five-yard line for another Mustang first down, but UCF safety Tre Neal forced a fumble that rolled into the end zone for a touchback. Three plays later, Milton connected with Gabriel Davis on an 80-yard touchdown pass to give the Black and Gold a seven-point lead. In all, the Knights allowed just two scores on eight SMU trips inside UCF territory.
ABOVE VIDEO: UCF Football 8-0 Celebration After 31-24 W at SMU.
CHEESE AND BREAD FOR AK
• Killins finished the night with 14 carries and averaged 10.4 yards per rush.
• The sophomore topped 100 yards for the third time this season and his career.
• The two touchdowns were his sixth and seventh of the season.
RECEIVERS MAKE BIG PLAYS
• Milton found eight different receivers on Saturday night.
• Tre’Quan Smith totaled 141 yards on seven receptions with a long of 63 yards.
• Smith went over 100 yards receiving for the ninth time in his career and the second time this season. He is now tied for fourth-most 100-yard receiving games in UCF history.
• Davis made three catches for a career-high 97 yards.
• Jordan Akins registered 62 yards on five catches.
• Six receivers caught passes longer than 20 yards.
The Knights return to Spectrum Stadium for an AAC clash with UConn on Saturday, Nov. 11. Kickoff is slated for noon on ESPNU.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS