AAA Consumer Pulse Says One in Five Floridians Plan to Move in the Coming Year
By AAA // July 28, 2018
Over half will move during spring, summer months
(AAA CONSUMER PULSE) – Summer for most people means warmer weather, backyard barbeques, family vacations, and moving season. Nearly one in five Floridians (19 percent) in a recent AAA Consumer Pulse survey, plan to move within the next year.
The majority of residents (53 percent) plan their move for the spring (April – June) or summer (July – September).
According to Penske, Tampa/Sarasota (5) and Orlando (6) were two of the top ten moving destinations in the country in 2017.
“Most people pay for their moving expenses using cash or savings,” said Matt Nasworthy, Florida Public Affairs Director, AAA – The Auto Club Group.
“During a move money can be tight, which means most consumers are looking for the best value for their dollar when paying for things like moving trucks and packing supplies.”
“Taking advantage of discounts, like those at AAA, and timing your move correctly can save you a substantial amount.”
Money Saving Moving Tips
- Timing – Most people move at the beginning or end of the month, during the weekend, or in the summer. These are the most expensive times to move because moving service and moving truck rental prices are at a premium. If possible, schedule your move mid-month, mid-week, or even during the winter months to get the best rates.
- Discounts – Before paying, be sure you’re getting the best deal. Get several quotes on moving services and rentals and search for discounts. For instance, AAA members can save up to 12 percent on Penske truck rentals.
- CLICK HERE for more information.
- Get Someone Else to Pay – If moving for work your new employer could foot some of the bill. Some moving expenses are even tax deductible, so be sure to keep all receipts associated with your move. Is the cost of boxes daunting? Visit local businesses like a grocery store, liquor store, or office building and ask them for boxes. Many business pay to have their cardboard taken away and would be happy to be rid of them.
Tips for Packing
- Plan ahead. Give yourself plenty of time. Start planning for your move up to six weeks before you intend to leave your current home. This will ensure that moving day is less of a hassle, regardless of whether you are using a moving company or doing it yourself.
- Label boxes. You’ll thank yourself later. It will make your life a whole lot easier when it comes time to unpack if you have some idea as to which items are included in each box. Label the tops and sides of each box and, perhaps, write the room of your new home where the contents of a particular box will go. If you are using movers, be sure to write “fragile” on any boxes that apply.
- Keep important records with you. These could include your birth certificate, Social Security card, passport, tax documents, checkbooks, original copies of wills, drivers licenses and any investment papers. Don’t pack these items into boxes, but keep them in a safe place where you won’t lose them.
Click here to discover more discounts and money-saving tips.
Moving by the Numbers
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS