Tips to Help with Snoring
By Space Coast Daily // February 5, 2019
Snoring is a hugely common problem that affects many people. However, the trouble is it is not just the snorer that suffers but also others that are sharing the same room – in some cases, those that are sharing the house, depending on how loud the snoring is!
If you suffer from snoring, you may feel embarrassed, and in some cases, it may leave you experiencing health issues such as a sore throat or dryness.
The good news is that there are various tips and tools that can help when it comes to snoring, so this is something you should familiarize yourself with.
If your snoring is a real issue, you can turn to solutions such as MADs or Mandibular Advancement Devices, which are designed to reduce and prevent snoring. However, there are also some simple tips you can follow in order to help reduce or eliminate snoring.
What Can You Do to Tackle Snoring?
In addition to using medical tools and products such as these devices, there are various other steps you can take in order to help tackle your snoring problem. Some of the things that can have an impact on snoring include:
- Your diet and weight: Your diet and weight can have an impact on your snoring. Those who are overweight even by a small amount often experience problems with snoring. To combat this, make sure you eat healthily and that you try to maintain a healthy weight. This will help to stop any excess tissue around the neck area from obstructing your airways.
- Drinking alcohol: When you consume alcohol, it relaxes the muscles when you are sleeping. This can result in the back of the throat collapsing, which in turn can lead to loud snoring. Making sure you do not drink alcohol shortly before you retire to bed can help to relieve your snoring problem.
- Kick the habit: if you are a smoker, you may suffer more with irritation of the throat and mucus buildup than non-smokers. This can result in an increased likelihood of snoring. Therefore, you should aim to kick the habit to try and address the issue and to also reduce the risk of many other serious health problems.
- Try side-sleeping: The chances of snoring are higher if you sleep on your back because this position results in the muscles being more relaxed, which can result in your airway being obstructed. To try to tackle this issue, try to sleep on your side if you can.
- Make sure your nose is clear: Some people snore because they have blockages and problems with their sinuses. If this is the case, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist about getting some treatment such as antihistamines to help keep your nasal passages clear. This will make it easier for you to breathe through your nose and means you are less likely to snore.
All of these tips can help when it comes to reducing your snoring problem and ensuring that you and your loved ones get a good night’s sleep.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS