AAA Reports Nearly 100 Million Americans Plan to Take a Family Vacation in 2019
By Space Coast Daily // March 29, 2019
plan, research as far ahead as possible to avoid missing out on popular activities and fun
ABOVE VIDEO: How to plan a perfect vacation: AAA explainer video.
AAA – Nearly 100 million Americans – 4 in 10 U.S. adults – are planning to take a family vacation in 2019. That’s slightly more than last year, according to a recent AAA Travel survey.
“This is quickly shaping up to be another busy year for family travelers, both on the roadways, as well as other popular travel destinations and attractions,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group.
“To make the most of their vacations, AAA recommends families plan and research as far ahead as possible to avoid missing out on popular activities and fun.”
AAA Survey Stats
- Two-thirds of all family travelers (68 percent) will embark on a summer getaway.
- Just under half (45 percent) of families plan to travel this spring.
- Regardless of the season, the great American road trip remains a major draw for these families; about half of traveling families (53 percent) expect to pack up their cars for a road trip this year.
- Travelers in the South are more likely to be making plans for a family trip this year (62 percent) than travelers in the Northeast (35 percent).
AAA Road Trip Tips
- Be prepared – For passengers, pack books, games, or music for the ride, and a pillow. Bring information on your destination to keep kids and other passengers entertained. Pack healthy snacks for kids, especially if you can’t stop for a full meal while traveling.
- Minimize driver distractions – Passengers are one of the most precious cargo on a trip, be it 5 or 50 miles down the road. AAA recommends drivers keep their attention on the road by pre-programing GPS devices and adjusting seats and mirrors before driving. So a driver can remain focused safely on driving, enlist the help of passengers and don’t use handheld or hands-free cell phones while driving.
- Safety first – Drivers should plan frequent stops, about every 100 miles or two hours, to remain alert. Make sure everyone is restrained by seat belts or a child safety seat to prevent injury in case of a sudden stop, swerve or crash. AAA members who are renting a car through Hertz can request a complimentary infant car seat or toddler booster seat.
- Pack your patience – Be prepared for busy roads and long airport security lines throughout the summer. If hitting the road during a holiday weekend, consider leaving earlier or later than the typical holiday travel times to avoid heavy traffic. Same goes for air travel, and be sure to arrive at the airport at least two hours before scheduled take-off.
- Do your research – To make the most of your trip, map out your route in advance, using a tool like AAA’s TripTik Travel Planner. For extra guidance, seek the advice of a knowledgeable travel agent. And be sure to download the AAA Mobile app to find AAA Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants, gas prices and fun stops along the way.
- Be road trip ready – Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out on a road trip. In case of an emergency, always carry a flashlight, extra batteries, warning devices such as flares or reflective triangles, jumper cables, a first-aid kit and extra water. To locate a AAA Approved Auto Repair shop in your area, visit AAA.com/AutoRepair.
For destination recommendations, travel tips and expert advice from AAA inspectors and travel editors, visit AAA.com/TravelTips.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS