Grant Funds Restoration Of Historic Walkway At Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
By Space Coast Daily // April 14, 2012
BREVARD COUNTY • CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA – Work is progressing on a new seashell and river rock walkway at the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, thanks to a grant from the Florida Lighthouse Association.
The group awarded the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation $9,830 last October to help rebuild the walkway, which leads from the lighthouse parking lot to an oil storage facility.
It was the very first grant the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation has received to upgrade the facility.
The Florida Lighthouse Association were made available through the sale of lighthouse license plates in the state. A total of $25 from each lighthouse license plate sale is reserved for the preservation and restoration of Florida lighthouses.
At the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, the walkway became nearly impassable because of layers of mulch and sod and the borders were deteriorating causing trip hazards for lighthouse visitors.
New crushed seashell and river rocks to be used in restoring the walkway are indigenous to Cape Canaveral and walkways similar to this were commonly used during the heyday of lighthouses in the 1800s.
The first Cape Canaveral Lighthouse was a 60-foot brick structure constructed in 1848 featuring 15 lamps on a 21-inch reflector.
A new lighthouse using a cast-iron tower and sitting on a foundation of rubble from the first lighthouse started operations in 1894.
Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the United States Air Force in 2000 and the site is located within Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. It is the Air Force’s lone fully operational lighthouse.
FOR MORE INFORMATION LOG ON TO CanaveralLight.org