Palm Bay Firefighters Extinguish Garage Fire
By Space Coast Daily // November 4, 2012
Cleaning Chemicals Spark Blaze
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – A reaction by cleaning chemicals stored in a garage are being blamed for sparking a fire that caused more than $25,000 to a home in Palm Bay early Sunday morning.
Palm Bay Fire Department spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez said firefighters were called to a home at 1344 Zanzibar Street N.E. just before 3 a.m. Sunday.
Martinez said residents of the home were awakened by smoke detectors and they immediately began removing animals and personal items and evacuating the residence.
When firefighters arrived on scene, propane fuel tanks stored in the garage began to explode.
“Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution,” Martinez said.
Firefighters contained the fire to the garage area of the home.
Further investigation by the fire marshal determined the fire appeared to be accidental as a result of a probable chemical reaction with linseed and other cleaners stored on a shelf.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family and no one was injured in the blaze.