Birding & Wildlife Festival Provides Glimpse Into Nature
By Space Coast Daily // January 16, 2013
Free Events Offered Jan. 23 To 28, 2013
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The Brevard Nature Alliance is partnering with Brevard County Parks and Recreation Department and the Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program to offer special programs and activities during the 16th annual Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival.
A variety of activities are planned during the festival which runs Jan. 23 to 28.
These free activities highlight community area parks and sanctuaries throughout the county.
Families and visitors are encouraged to take advantage of a variety of specially planned fun and educational activities throughout the festival.
Closed-toe shoes, insect repellent and bottled water advised for most of these activities.
Pre-registration and registration is advised because of limited space for some activities:
- Habitats, 10 a.m. to noon, Jan. 23. $4. A look at basic habitat types and healthy habitats. Includes boardwalk tour and meet and greet with animals. Erna Nixon Park. To register, call 321-952-4525.
- Little Hatchlings “Migration Station,” 10 a.m. to noon, Jan. 24. Free. Learn about bird migration, bird food and resting places. Barrier Island Center. To register call 321-723-3556 by Jan. 22.
- Owls, 10 a.m. to noon, Jan. 24. $4. A look at Florida’s native owls,followed by owl pellet dissection, a boardwalk tour and meet and greet with animals. Erna Nixon Sanctuary. To register call 321-952-4525.
- Nature Nite, 7 to 8 p.m., Jan. 24. Free. Learn more about the marine world by participating in an interactive presentation and hands on crafts. Riverwalk Park. To register, call 321-433-4490.
- Evening Owl Prowl, 6 to 8 p.m., Jan. 24. Free. Discover the wonder of owls on a nocturnal observation journey. Sams House at Pine Island. To register call 321-449-4720.
- Owl Program, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Jan. 24. $2. Learn about these fascinating birds. At Mims/Scottsmoor Library, 3615 Lionel Road, Mims, and from 3 to 4 p.m., Jan. 28 at Port St. John Library, 6500 Carole Avenue. To register call 321-455-1385.
- Nature Walk at the Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Cultural Center, 8 to 10 a.m., Jan. 25. Free. Take a morning walk down the Moore Center’s path of native trees and plants followed by a plant discussion in the pavilion from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. To register call 321-264-6595 by Jan. 24.
- Making Tracks: How to Read & Interpret Wildlife Signs, 8 to 10 a.m., Jan. 25. Free. Early morning hike at Scottsmoor Flatwoods Sanctuary at Parrish Park in Scottsmoor. To register call 321-264-5058,.
- Interpretive Canoe Trip, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m., Jan. 25. $15. A canoe trip in the Thousand Islands of Cocoa Beach. Tours launch at Ramp Road Park. To register call 321-455-1385.
- Enjoying Life on the Indian River Lagoon Coast, 3 to 4 p.m., Jan. 25. Free. A PowerPoint slideshow in the 1875 Sams Cabin. Sam’s House at Pine Island. To register call 321-449-4720.
- Celebrate Urban Birds, 4 to 6 p.m., Jan. 25. Free. Learn to identify the most common birds at your feeder and how to help track bird migrations. Riverwalk Park. To register call 321-433-4490.
- Nocturnal Nature Hike, 6:30 p.m.-TBD, Jan. 25. Free. Join Naturalists on a night of discovery and exploration. Enchanted Forest Sanctuary. To register call 321-264-5185..
- Gopher Tortoises, 11 a.m.to 12:30 p.m., Jan. 26. Free. Plants and animals in Florida rely on gopher tortoises, as do many Floridians. Enchanted Forest Sanctuary. To register call 321-264-5185..
- Intro to Kayaking for kids, 10 a.m.-TBD, Jan. 26. $20. Introduction to kayaking on shallow waters of Fox Lake Park. Instruction and equipment provided. Pre-registration is required, call 321-268-2655 or visit w.ww.ADayAwayKayakTours.com
- “Bird of a Feather – Hike Together,” 8 to 11 a.m. (meet at 7:45 a.m.) Jan. 26. Free. Explore the barrier islands on a 2.5-mile forest hike. Maritime Hammock. To register call 321-723-3556 by Jan. 24.
- Orienteering/Scavenger Hunt, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 26. Free. A hike of the Sam’s loop trail. Sams House at Pine Island. To register call 321-449-4720.