Unattended Candle Catches Apartment On Fire
By Space Coast Daily // February 15, 2013
Man Treated At Hospital For Burns
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – Authorities say an unattended candle is to blame for a fire Thursday night that injured a man.
Palm Bay Public Information Officer Yvonne Martinez just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday firefighters responded to 1506 Monterey Drive NE, Apartment 102, to a report of a fire.
She said a candle was left on a dresser in a closet at the apartment that started a fire and ended up sending a man to the hospital for a burn injury to his hand.
Martinez said a woman and and a 3-month-old infant also were home when the fire started, but were not injured.
Upon arrival at the scene there was light smoke showing.
According to Martinez, firefighters managed a quick stop that isolated the fire to the room with damage to the apartment firewall that will need to be replaced.
No other units within the eight-unit building have any damage and remain occupied.
The fire is being ruled accidental.
“The candle caught the contents of the closet on fire and spread smoke damage throughout,” said Palm Bay Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey.
Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented!
Kevin’s Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly.
If a Kevin’s Kandle is left unattended – it will go out; if it is tipped over – it will go out!
Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness.
Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities
by visiting http://www.asafercandle.com