Law Enforcement Torch Run Boosts Special Olympics
By Space Coast Daily // April 24, 2013
Show of support
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Special Olympics Brevard County has always been able to count on the men and women of law enforcement and corrections for a helping hand and once again this year that will be the case.
The 2013 Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run will be conducted on Friday, April 26 throughout Brevard County.
The run combines officers from law enforcement agencies and corrections departments here in Brevard in an event to raise money and heighten awareness for the Special Olympics.
And, the public is welcome to join law enforcement officers in the run.
Special Olympics is a year-round sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
It offers sports training and competition in nine Olympic-type sports for athletes across the Space Coast and participants are never charged to compete
Athletes are able to compete at county, area and state Special Olympics Games.
The public is welcome to join law enforcement officers during the torch run, or to contribute to the program by purchasing commemorative items.
Law Enforcement Torch Run hats and T-shirts will be sold at each leg of the race with all proceeds donated to Special Olympics Florida.
Here’s a schedule for each leg of the run:
• Palm Bay Leg — Starts at 7 a.m. in the front parking lot of the Palm Bay City Hall, 120 Malabar Road SE and continues to the Publix at 1150 Malabar Road, a distance of two miles.
• West Mebourne Leg — Starts at 8 a.m. at the Field of Dreams Park and runs to the West Melbourne Police Department on Minton Road, a distance of one mile.
• Melbourne Leg – Starts at 8:30 a.m. at the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office South Precinct, 1515 Sarno Road and runs over the Eau Gallie Causeway to the Publix on Babcock Street, a distance of three miles.
• Cocoa Beach Leg — Starts at 11 a.m. at 3920 N. Atlantic Avenue and ends at the Publix at 2007 N. Atlantic Avenue, a distance of one mile.
• Rockledge Leg — Starts at noon at Publix, at 1880 U.S. Hwy 1 in Rockledge and runs to the Springwood Estates at 951 Eyster Boulevard, a distance of two miles.
• Titusville Leg — Starts at 2 p.m. at the Miracle City Mall, 2500 S. Washington Avenue in Titusville and runs to the Titusville Fire Station #11 downtown, a distance of two miles.
• Brevard County Jail Complex Leg — Starts at 3:30 p.m. at Parrish Medical Center, 5005 Port St. John Parkway and runs to the jail complex parking lot at 860 Camp Road, Sharpes, a distance of two miles.
For information, please call Brevard County Sheriff’s Office Agent Randy Holliday at 321-403-1900 or send an email to email@example.com.