EFSC Women’s Basketball Presents Awards at Banquet
By Space Coast Daily // May 21, 2014
Jessica Doyle is most valuable player
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA — Head coach Jim Grimes and his staff presented several awards.
The winners were:
• The Titan Way Award: Freshman guard Jessica Doyle
• Most Valuable Player Award: Jessica Doyle
• Dr. Marsha Mann Lake Scholar Athlete of the Year: Freshman guard/forward Kristina Bugarski
This award is named for Dr. Lake, a math professor on the Titusville Campus. As Marsha Mann, Dr. Lake played in the World University Games in 1973 and was the University of North Carolina’s first women’s basketball All-American in 1975. Her uniform number 44 was retired. She also is a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s 50th anniversary team announced in 2003.
• Defensive Player of the Year: Sophomore forward Kendall Hedgecock.
• Statistical leader awards went to: steals: freshman guard Rhaven Kemp; free-throw percentage; Doyle; three-point percentage: freshman forward Rachelle Aupont; assists: Bugarski; three-pointers made: Doyle; rebounding: Aupont; scoring: Doyle.
Also, Doyle was recognized for being a Florida College System Activities Association Southern Conference first-team honoree and freshman forward Aupont for being a second-team honoree.
Hedgecock, Kiersten Colgan and Tomoriya Hamm delivered sophomore speeches at the banquet. The Titans finished the season, their first under Grimes, at 7-23.
22 Student-Athletes Earn 2013-2014 Academic Year Diplomas
Twenty-two Eastern Florida State College student-athletes earned degrees for the 2013-2014 academic year.
THOSE EARNING DEGREES INCLUDE:
Golf: Nick Maynard
Women’s soccer: Katlyn Bales, Jess Fassnidge, Sue Kumaning, Amanda Lodge, Kelsey Smith, Kimmie Tierney
Men’s basketball: Jure Gunjina, Ben Patrick
Softball: Brooke Formby, Brianna Seaman, Devin Williams
Women’s basketball: Beth Carlson, Tomoriya Hamm
Baseball: Austin Leeney, Jordan Lindsay, Jesse Schullstrom
Tennis: Kalia Cochran
Volleyball: Brittany Collison, Taylor Gembecki, Sara Watkins, Heather Welch
Four received degrees in May or December 2013: Lindsey Pugh (volleyball), May 2013; Meghan Mauzy (women’s soccer) May 2013; Julian Adams (men’s basketball), December 2013; Jenci Villaverde (women’s soccer) December 2013.