Brevard Public Schools ‘News In A Minute’

By  //  September 12, 2014

BPS-IN-MINUTE-580-2

Endeavour Elementary to Hold “Panthers on the Prowl” 5K

COCOA, FLORIDA – Endeavour Elementary will hold a school initiated “Panthers on the Prowl” 5K on September 20, 2014, at the Cocoa Eastern State College of Florida Campus, with registration beginning at 6:30 a.m.

Funds raised from this 5K will go towards the purchase and installment of a pavilion at Endeavour.

The 5K course will begin at the Auditorium, having runners do three loops around the lake and accompanying trail. The race will have several wave starts, with approximately twenty seconds in between waves. Those wanting to complete the 1-miler, need only run one loop of the course.

Early registration begins September 7th and it costs $20.00 to register each individual, thereafter regular registration spans from September 8th– 20th at $25.00 each.  Day of race registration is $30.00.

For more information and for a detailed timeline of this 5K event, please contact Rachael Brekenridge at 321-536-2376 or r_breck405@yahoo.com; or Marty Winkel at 321-537-3526 or runsalot@cfl.rr.com.

Williams Elementary Students to Receive FAME Awards

ORLANDO, FLORIDA – Two Williams Elementary fifth grade teams were invited to receive awards and recognition at the state level, for their media submissions in the 2014 Jim Harbin Student Media Festival.

These state submissions will be awarded at a ceremony held on October 10, 2014, at the Hilton Orlando, Bonnet Creek.

The Jim Harbin Student Media Festival is sponsored by the Florida Association for Media in Education (FAME).  According to their website, this festival encourages students of FAME members to communicate through media production and to recognize and reward outstanding presentations. These talented student producers will be honored for their outstanding media productions at the awards ceremony.

For more information, please contact John Kurowski, music teacher, at 321-617-7700 ext. 3204 orkurowski.john@brevardschools.org.

Heritage High’s Cambridge Program Motivates Students

PALM BAY, FLORIDA – Heritage High School students have highly benefited from the implementation of their Advanced International Certificate of Education program (AICE) supported through the Cambridge Program.

AICE is an accelerated program of academic study offered through the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE). This program allows students to gain college credit as well as Bright Future Scholarships. Additionally, the program at Heritage exposed students to great rigor as it prepared them for college and university curriculums across the world during the 2013-14 school year.

For example, in 2014, 23 Heritage students earned the prestigious AICE Diploma, and 293 classes successfully passed the program by examination which results in college credit. This equates to a 72.35% pass rate!

For more information on the Cambridge program at Heritage, please contact Steven Schleicher, Cambridge coordinator, at 321- 722-4178 or schleicher.steven@brevardschools.org.

Titusville High Students to Host “One Blood” Blood Drive

TITUSVILLE, FLORIDA – Titusville High’s Patient Care Assistant (PCA) students will be hosting the “One Blood” blood drive on September 18, 2014.

The blood mobiles collecting donations will be in the front parking lot of the school from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.  Donors receive a free T-shirt and the donation collection will go towards the grant money funds used for the Hero’s Scholarship, a medical scholarship given to seniors at the end of the year.

For more information or to make a donation, please contact Cathy Hall, THS Medical Focus instructor, at 321-264-3100 ext. 5207 or hall.cathy@brevardschools.org.

Palm Bay Elementary Pirates Participate In ThinkStretch Summer Reading Program

PALM BAY, FLORIDA – For the first time ever, 35 Palm Bay Elementary students participated in the ThinkStretch Summer Learning Program, which effectively combats the key issues in summer learning loss.

The ThinkStretch program requires students to work at home in their summer workbooks which cover multiple common core areas of curriculum including comprehensive reading, writing, math and science.

In addition to their at-home practice, students were also asked to read fifteen minutes each day, and to attend a session at school once a week with their parent(s), to review their progress and answer questions. These sessions were divided and led by Tanya Brown (guiding grades K – 2) and Michelle Hume (grades 3 – 6).

These student-parent interactive sessions ultimately contributed to the student’s success.  “Parents are their children’s first teacher. It is imperative that both parents and teachers work together to ensure student success. This program allowed parents and teachers to work closely together to help our students,” stated Ms. Hume.

For more information, please contact Michelle Hume, Title I Resource teacher, at 321-723-1055 ext. 4002 orhume.michelle@brevardschools.org.

Administrative Teamwork Solves Quest Car Loop Issues

MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – Through creative problem solving and strong leadership, the car loop traffic issues at Quest Elementary have been resolved.

When the new school year brought additional students to Quest Elementary, additional cars in the pick-up line became a huge problem due to the increased number of car riders. This high volume of traffic caused the lengthy line to extend out of the school parking lot onto both Trafford Drive, and Lake Andrew Drive, which quickly clogged school access points. The layout of the car loop not only became a safety concern, but it then in turn created a number of cascading series of scheduling delays, which then impacted students and parents well beyond the boundaries of Quest.

Recognizing the need to bring a quick resolution to a significant problem, Quest Principal, Elea Lea, and Assistant Principal, Kristen Sorokin, quickly identified the problem and worked diligently with representatives of District Transportation, District Security, Brevard County Traffic Operations and the Brevard County Transportation Planning Organization to re-engineer the car pick-up process at Quest.

In a bold move, a new serpentine pick-up line was designed and rolled out to parents at open house.  The new pick-up procedure was fully operational within days, and has proven to be a huge success both to efficiently and safely access the school.

For more information, please contact Lieutenant Mike Scully at 321-633-1000 ext. 290 orscully.mike@brevardschools.org.