PHOTOS: Palm Bay Firefighters Contain Home Fire Caused By Fuel Vapor Ignition
By Space Coast Daily // May 26, 2015
homeowner received second-degree burns
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – A homeowner working on a boat inside a garage ended up calling for rescue when sparks ignited fuel vapor that exploded into a fully involved fire just after 12 noon on Tuesday.
Palm Bay Fire Rescue responded to the blaze in the 3000 block of Finola Avenue SE and when firefighters arrived the garage was fully involved.
The homeowner received second-degree burns to his legs during the incident and was treated on scene.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to within the garage of the two-story home, with some smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.
After speaking with the homeowner, the fire marshal confirmed the fire was caused by fuel vapor ignition due to sparks from a shop vac, according to Yvonne Martinez, Palm Bay Public Information Coordinator.
The damage to the home is estimated at approximately $25,000.
STAY TUNED TO SPACECOASTDAILY.COM FOR UPDATES