Brevard Businessman Mike Shah Joins Florida Tech Board of Trustees
By Florida Tech // January 22, 2016
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – Mahesh “Mike” R. Shah, a distinguished and successful businessman and founding member of the Florida Tech Panthers Football Founders Club, has been named to the university’s Board of Trustees.
Shah is owner and president of M&R High Point Holdings, Inc., comprised of wholesale and retail gasoline businesses and other real estate holdings. He is also president of Southeast Petro Dist., Inc.
Since 1980, he has built a network which supplies fuel to over 400 sites and employs approximately 150 employees.
Shah brings this sharp business acumen and his own experiences with the power and potential of higher education to the Board of Trustees.
“I am excited to be a part of this positive team and work with trustees who are unified by their desire to make Florida Tech the best university it can be,” he said.
“Students here rely on their education to create a brighter future for themselves, and I am reminded of what I had once gone through a long time ago. I am honored to play a role in making sure our future generations receive a Florida Tech education that will open the door for them to succeed in the real world.”
Shah is a native of India, where he met his wife, Rashmi. After earning his bachelor’s degree in architecture from M.S. University in Baroda, India, Shah moved to South Africa with Rashmi, where he worked as an architect for the Republic of Zambia.
In 1976, the Shahs came to the United States, settling in Connecticut. There, Shah worked as an architect, motel owner and Realtor. In 1980, they moved to Brevard County to pursue their first venture into petroleum, and have remained on the Space Coast since.
“Mike Shah’s understanding of the key role education plays in a successful life, and his place as a true community benefactor on the Space Coast, will add essential perspective to our Board of Trustees,” Florida Tech President and CEO Anthony J. Catanese said.
“We are honored to have him help guide the future of our university.”
Heavily involved in the community, Shah has a lengthy list of honors, achievements and accolades. They include:
– 2015 Founding Member of Manav Mandir Temple in Brevard
– 2015 Brevard Walk of Fame honoree
– 2015 Junior Achievement of Brevard Hall of Fame laureate
– 2014 Entrepreneur of The Year, SpaceCoast Business magazine
– 2012-Present, member, United Way Board of Directors
– 2012 Brevard County Humanitarian of the Year
– 2012 Entrepreneur of the Year , Indian American Chamber of Commerce
– 2012 Patriot Award by Honor America
– 2012 BIMDA Philanthropist of the Year
– Health First Foundation, past member
– Founding member and Director Emeritus, Community Bank of the South