SCAM ALERT: Netflix Account and Credit Information Stolen In Phishing Attack
By Phil Archer, State Attorney, 18th Judicial Circuit // January 18, 2017
mimics a real Netflix login screen
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Emails are being circulated claiming to be from Netflix stating the customer needs to update their membership information. In reality, it’s a phishing scam.
Inside the email is a link that directs the victim to what appears to be a Netflix login page (see above image). The page is actually fake and just mimics a real Netflix login screen.
Once the victim enters their credentials, they are directed to another page asking for more personal information. This includes billing information and credit card information.
All of these web pages are set up to look like real Netflix pages. After the victim gives the cyber criminal all of their data, they are redirected to the real Netflix home page. This twist is what makes this scheme so effective and keeps the victim unsuspecting.
Netflix is aware that these types of scams occur and posted some suggestions on its site to help customers keep their account secure:
• Use a password unique to Netflix and change it periodically
• Be aware of possible phishing attempts
• Keep your computer safe with security software
• Report fraudulent or suspicious activity
• Sign out of unused devices
• Report security flaws to Netflix
– In Part Source: Mark Jones Komando Staff
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY CRIME NEWS