‘Summer of Mars’ Allows Visitors to Explore NASA’s History, Future with The Red Planet
By Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex // June 3, 2017
AT KSC Visitor Complex June 5 - Sept 4
ABOVE VIDEO: Summer of Mars is just one of many attractions at Kennedy Space Center. Take a look inside the only Central Florida attraction that takes you inside America’s space program, and puts you nose to nose with the last Space Shuttle to fly around the planet, Space Shuttle Atlantis.
BREVARD COUNTY • KENNEDY SPACE CENTER VISITORS COMPLEX, FLORIDA – Explore NASA’s past, present and bold future of Mars exploration at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex during Summer of Mars.
NASA’s goal is to send humans to the Red Planet in the 2030s, launching from Kennedy Space Center.
By visiting this summer, guests will learn about the missions that lead to this next giant leap, and the plan for the upcoming years.
Summer of Mars is the insider track to NASA’s Journey to Mars.
SPECIAL KICK OFF CELEBRATION
The Summer of Mars will begin with a special event featuring astronaut Scott Kelly and the Mars Rover concept vehicle.
Kelly will share his experiences as a space shuttle astronaut and his life aboard the International Space Station.
Then, the Mars Rover concept vehicle will be unveiled as the newest attraction at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex before it goes on tour.
MARS ROVER CONCEPT VEHICLE
“Meet” the newest concept vehicle designed for navigating the demanding landscape of Mars.
Based on NASA science, the next generation of space explorers could be traveling and working in a high-tech mobile laboratory similar to this Rover.
The Rover is an impressive 28 feet long with the lab attached, 14 feet wide and 11 feet tall, and has massive wheels designed to travel over dunes, rocks and craters.
Before the Rover goes on tour up the east coast in mid-July, visitors will have an opportunity to get up close to this extraordinary machine.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Rover’s tour as details become available.
THE FIRST GENERATION ON MARS
Mars Needs You!
The visitor complex invites the next generation of space explorers to Join the Journey with complimentary admission for all students entering the fifth grade in fall 2017.
Identified as the generation that will first step foot on Mars, rising fifth graders find an inspiring adventure during a fun and enriching vacation to the visitor complex.
CLICK HERE to download your Boarding Pass to Mars.
MARS ATTRACTIONS AND SHOWS
- Journey to Mars: Explorers Wanted: Learn about what it takes to travel to Mars during this live presentation. Also, meet the robotic explorers that have been studying Mars for more than 40 years, and test your savvy with interactive simulators.
- Journey to Space 3D: Journey To Space gives an overview of NASA’s past space accomplishments, current activities and future plans, including the Journey to Mars.
- Cosmic Quest: Cosmic Quest is an interactive game play experience where trainees engage with real NASA missions, including building a Mars habitat. Available as an add-on experience.
- Eyes on the Red Planet: View Mars in 3D 4K resolution through the eyes of Hubble Space Telescope.
- Science on a Sphere: Red Versus Blue: Explore Mars on a brilliantly illuminated 6-foot globe and observe how it compares to our blue planet, Earth.
- Mission Status Briefings: Discover what NASA is doing today to prepare for the Journey to Mars.
Guests will also see the launch pads where humans will once again launch into space, and learn about the spacecraft developed to explore deep space for NASA’s Space Launch System in NASA Now.
You may even see a rocket launch while you are here.
CELEBRATING MARS EXPLORATION
Summer of Mars celebrates the many significant anniversaries in 2017:
- July 4 – Mars Pathfinder Landing with Sojourner Rover 20th Anniversary – Learn More
- August 4 – Mars Phoenix Lander Launch 10thAnniversary – Learn More
- August 5 – Mars Science Laboratory with Curiosity Rover Landing 5th Anniversary – Learn More
- September 12 – Mars Global Surveyor Orbital Insertion 20th Anniversary – Learn More
CLICK HERE to visit the Summer of Mars page for downloadable posters, kids activities, educator resources, quick facts and the chance for teachers to win an Astronaut Encounter for your school.
CLICK HERE FOR SPACE NEWS FROM NASA