Orlando City Falls To New York City FC 2-0 At Yankee Stadium
By Orlando City SC // March 17, 2018
ABOVE VIDEO: In its first road match of the season, Orlando City SC (0-2-1, 1 point) lost 2-0 to New York City FC (3-0-0, 9 points) on Saturday at Yankee Stadium. Sacha Kljestan, Lamine Sané and Josué Colmán made their Orlando City debuts.
NEW YORK (Orlando City SC) – In its first road match of the season, Orlando City SC (0-2-1, 1 point) lost 2-0 to New York City FC (3-0-0, 9 points) on Saturday at Yankee Stadium. Sacha Kljestan, Lamine Sané and Josué Colmán made their Orlando City debuts.
“I really felt like we were doing well up until we gave them the goal. Unfortunately for me I think that’s three matches where I just feel like we’re giving things away,” Lions head coach Jason Kreis said. “We correct those small errors, I still think we’re going to be okay.”
Orlando City featured a starting XI with RJ Allen, who was acquired from NYCFC in December, and Cristian Higuita for the first time in 2018. Kljestan took the captain’s armband when Jonathan Spector left the match at halftime.
A closely contested match was opened up with an opportunistic goal from Ismael Tajouri in the 62nd minute. Maxi Moralez extended the lead 12 minutes later.
Colmán sparked some offense when he entered the match and Will Johnson drilled a late shot off the bar.
The Lions return to action on Saturday, March 31, when they host the New York Red Bulls at 1 p.m. ET at Orlando City Stadium.
Tickets to all City home matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com or by calling 855-ORL-CITY.
– M Sacha Kljestan made his Club debut. Kljestan took the captain’s armband when D Jonathan Spector exited the match at halftime.
– D RJ Allen made his first Start as a Lion and did so against his former club of three years. Allen became the first player to play on both sides in the 2015 Expansion Rivalry.
– M Josué Colmán made his Orlando City and MLS debut when he replaced D RJ Allen in the 76th minute.
– M Cristian Higuita made his 2018 debut and his first appearance since Sept. 9, 2017. He was replaced in the 67th minute by M Richie Laryea.
– With his 70th Start, GK Joe Bendik passed M Kaká for second-most Games Started in Club history. Bendik has started 70 of City’s last 71 MLS games dating back to 2016.
– D Lamine Sané made his Orlando City and MLS debut when he came on in place of D Jonathan Spector to start the second half.
– M Jose Villarreal was included in City’s 18-man gameday roster for the first time.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS