HALL OF FAME SPOTLIGHT: Satellite Alum Britt McHenry Achieves Early Career Success With Jobs At ESPN, Fox News

By  //  July 27, 2019

2018 SPACE COAST SPORTS HALL OF FAMER

ABOVE VIDEO: Satellite Alum Britt McHenry Achieves Early Career Success With Jobs At ESPN, Fox News.

BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Satellite Beach’s Britt McHenry may have accomplished more in such a short time than arguably any other inductee in the history of the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame.

Right from the start, McHenry was destined for big things as she was the editor-in-chief of Satellite High School’s student newspaper and president of the National Honor Society.

Producing, editing and talking about the news at the highest level in high school has obviously served Britt well these days but so has her competitive nature and athletic prowess.

Britt was a four-year letterman for legendary soccer coach, Fidgi Haig’s great Satellite Scorpion teams of the early 2000’s.

Her play on the field and grades in the classroom earned her a scholarship to play soccer at Stetson University. After playing one season on the pitch at the college level, McHenry decided to focus on academics. To know Britt McHenry is to know that when she focuses on something, she perfects it.

Britt graduated magna cum laude from Stetson in three-and-a-half years and thought she was destined for law school. But mom and dad always seem to know best and after talking it over with her parents, Britt decided broadcasting and journalism would better suit her talents.

REPORTING FROM THE SIDELINES and the dugout steps, Britt McHenry frequently appeared on ESPN hit shows such as Outside the Lines, NFL Live and Baseball Tonight.

Britt and her parents couldn’t have been more right in their decision. In January of 2008 she was accepted into the prestigious Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism.

With so much talent at just 21 years-old, opportunities began to come fast for McHenry. She decided it was time to utilize her athletic prowess where she entered into sports reporting.

Britt anchored sports on the weekends, reported live on assignment at Washington Nationals, Washington Redskins, and Washington Capitals games and added a Super Bowl and the NCAA men’s’ basketball tournament to her resume. She continued to impress and climbed the broadcasting ladder.

After graduation, Britt began her career with Washington’s News Channel 8 in January 2009. Her work at Channel 8 prepared for a bigger job in the spring of 2010 with WJLA ABC-7 in the nation’s capital.

McHenry’s intellect, outgoing and infectious personality and runway good looks afforded her a plethora of opportunities on the DC scene.

She was asked to emcee countless events, appeared in Mia Hamm’s charity celebrity soccer match and appeared on the front cover of Washington Life magazine, which selected her as one of DC’s most influential movers and shakers under the age of 40.

McHenry left ABC7 in March 2014 to join ESPN as a Washington, DC-based bureau reporter. She served as a correspondent for various shows including Sports Center, one of the most popular sports TV shows ever.

Aside from reporting from the sidelines and on dugout steps, McHenry frequently appeared on ESPN hit shows such as Outside the Lines, NFL Live and Baseball Tonight.

Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame Inductee Marcus Maye Credits Family, Mentors as Biggest BlessingRelated Story:
Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame Inductee Marcus Maye Credits Family, Mentors as Biggest Blessing
FOLLOWING HER TIME at ESPN, Britt McHenry moved back to Washington DC where she is now a contributor for the FOX News Channel and a frequent guest on several popular programs, including the Tucker Carlson Show.

FOX NEWS CONTRIBUTOR

McHenry would continue to flourish in the field and following her time at ESPN, would land back in Washington D.C. where she is now a contributor for the FOX News Channel appearing as a frequent guest on several popular programs, including the Tucker Carlson Show.

McHenry is also back on the local DC airwaves where she is currently hosting the “Like It or Not” show on WTTG Fox 5 with Bram Weinstein and WPGC-FM News Director Guy Lambert.

She also contributes to The Federalist, a popular online magazine that covers politics, policy, culture and religion.

According to Satellite High School Athletic Director and Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame member Linda Anderson, McHenry’s success doesn’t surprise her.

“I was impressed how she turned into such a competitor on the soccer field because she was so sweet off it,” said Anderson. “I knew she would be successful wherever she ended up. I have watched a few of her broadcasts and I was very impressed.”

McHenry still loves the Space Coast. “I’m always grateful that I can call Brevard County home,” McHenry said.

“Growing up here has taught me very good values and made me appreciative of what I have. I have strong family and friends that gave me a solid foundation that never wavers.”

Linda Anderson: Inspired Students To Achieve Potential Both On Field and In ClassroomRelated Story:
Linda Anderson: Inspired Students To Achieve Potential Both On Field and In Classroom

CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE SPACE COAST SPORTS HALL OF FAME

THE 2020 SPACE COAST SPORTS HALL OF FAME Banquet and Induction Ceremony will take place at the Cocoa Beach Country Club on Friday, May 8.

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT the 2020 SPACE COAST SPORTS HALL OF FAME, call 321-615-8111 or e-mail Contact@SpaceCoastDaily.com

CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS