TECH WATCH: How a Variable Speed Drive Works, Has Changed in Flexibility and Reliability
By Space Coast Daily // July 19, 2018
Due to the technological progress and innovations nowadays, we have a lot of machines and facilities. They are made for simplifying the work for different spheres of industries.
When we talk about business it makes sense to reduce energy costs, because in the result we save money.
Many of you are seeing the words “variable speed drive” (VSD) for the first time and we’re glad to present you this piece of power electronics produced by worldwide leader Triol Corporation.
A VSD controls the speed, torque and direction of an induction motor. It converts fixed voltage and frequency input to a variable voltage and frequency output.
VSD helps to control the speed of the machinery that it is controlling at different speeds. There are several types of VSD: mechanical, hydraulic, electromechanical, or electronic.
Here are some general functions of VSDs by Triol Corporation:
- Motor switching on/off;
- Motor operation in the following modes: «Manual» (without automatic restart after a trip); «Automatic» with automatic restart after a trip, and «Automatic» with operation according to preset timing diagram;
- Current optimization after reaching a preset value of the motor frequency;
- Manual control of motor speed from UMKA-03 controller and remote control from a dispatching point;
- Automatic change of the output frequency according to a preset timing diagram; • Motor automatic starting after selectable delay when the supply voltage is applied;
- Automatic maintaining of some process parameters (pressure, current) at their set points;
- Measurement and indication of current parameters of submersible pump and VSD on the integrated liquid-crystal display;
- Motor remote control, monitoring of motor parameters, uploading and downloading of protection settings through telemetering system (downhole measuring equipment) via the RS485 interface; and many other.
You may also see a combination of words like adjustable speed drive but there is a difference between variable speed drive and adjustable speed drive. The difference is that adjustable speed drive operates within a preset range, but the operating speed of a variable speed drive can be regulated outside of the limits.
In addition, VSD can be used in different climate conditions such as indoor operation, in the cold climate, sea platform and even in a desert.
They have different body types like NEMA1, NEMA3, NEMA4, NEMA4x. As well as body types they may have several types of pulse: 6, 12, 18, 24.
Since the invention of VSDs, they have changed in flexibility and reliability. And their cost has brought down due to the changes and innovative technologies. So be sure to choose the right VSD for your business.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS