Fresh From Florida Video Recipes: Florida Mushroom, Shrimp and Grits With Bacon – Delicious!
By Space Coast Daily // August 27, 2018
shellfish available year-round in local waters
ABOVE VIDEO: Enjoy this delicious recipe for Florida mushroom, shrimp, and grits with bacon. Florida farmers make it easy for everyone to eat fresh produce year-round. Due to the milder climate in the Sunshine State, fruits and vegetables grown in Florida are generally available earlier than those produced in other states.
FRESH FROM FLORIDA — Florida farmers make it easy for everyone to eat fresh produce year-round. Due to the milder climate in the Sunshine State, fruits and vegetables grown in Florida are generally available earlier than those produced in other states.
In fact, most of Florida’s produce is available between October and June.
This allows you to enjoy fresh Florida tomatoes, oranges, bell peppers, strawberries, snap beans and squash during the winter months, and fresh Florida blueberries, sweet corn, and watermelon in late spring.
Seafood and shellfish caught in Florida’s waters are available year-round.
So enjoy the bounty that Florida has to offer – and for delicious dishes, check out our “Fresh From Florida” recipes created by Chef Justin Timineri, Florida’s culinary ambassador.
Chef Justin Timineri’s mission is to encourage everyone to rediscover fresh, healthy Florida cuisine.
Florida Mushroom, Shrimp and Grits with Bacon
- 1 pound medium Florida shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup Florida mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup Florida green pepper, chopped fine
- 3-4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 celery sticks, chopped fine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 4 servings of grits (your favorite)
- Prepare grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
- Fry bacon until crisp then remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan and add olive oil to bacon fat; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, thyme, bay leaf and mushrooms; sauté until soft.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through.
- Stir in cream, bacon, cayenne pepper, hot sauce and lemon juice; simmer until heated through.
- Remove bay leaf when ready to serve.
- In individual bowls or plates, spoon shrimp over grits; sprinkle with parsley and serve.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS