Auditions for Louis Armstrong’s Wonderful World at Cocoa Village Playhouse Set Oct. 6-8
By Space Coast Daily // October 6, 2018
original work celebrates the life and music of an extraordinary man
BREVARD COUNTY • COCOA VILLAGE, FLORIDA – The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse is seeking performers of all ages and ethnicities for the brand-new musical drama Louis Armstrong’s Wonderful World.
This original work celebrates the life and music of an extraordinary man who still lives in the hearts of millions of people throughout the world.
If you have ever dreamed of performing onstage we encourage you to audition for YOUR chance to perform in, what audiences have declared, “Broadway on Brevard”!
This production requires an ensemble of performers with a variety of talents, including singing and dancing. Performers cast in this production will be utilized in multiple roles including historical figures.
Seeking the following roles:
Barman – 30’s-50’s. African American Male. The narrator of the show and close friends with Louis. Must be able to carry the show and tell the story of Louis’ life.
Reporter – 20’s – 40’s. Male. Writing a story on Louis Armstrong, the reporter seeks for more “research” and stumbles upon some familiar characters.
Little Louis – 8 -10 years old, 11-13 years old, 14-16 years old. African American. A confident young boy who has his eyes set on one goal, a beat-up cornet in a pawn shop. Must be able to sing. Seeking an actor for each age group.
Joe Glaser – 30’s – 50’s. Artist manager and close friend to Louis Armstrong. Advocate and defender for Louis throughout his career.
Velma Middleton – 30’s – 40’s. African American. A vibrant and sassy jazz vocalist with good comedic timing. Must have a wide vocal range and is able to belt.
Rex Harrison – 30’s – 50’s years old. English actor and singer. Fan and friend of Louis. Must somewhat resemble and act like Rex.
Bing Crosby – 30’s – 50’s American Singer and Actor. A friend of Louis with good knowledge about his career and life. Must somewhat resemble and act like Bing.
Other roles available:
May Ann Armstrong, BB Robinson, The Karnofsky family, Joe “King” Oliver, Daisy Parker, Lil Harding Armstrong, Alpha Smith, Louise Wilson, club dancers, gangsters, and gospel choir members.
- No Experience Necessary….They will train you!
- Please limit vocal auditions to a maximum of 1 minute or 16 bars of music. Sheet music is preferred (We provide a pianist).
- Acapella auditions are allowed, however, please limit auditions to 1 minute.
- CD or Flash Drive with MP3 are acceptable, but accompaniment must not contain prerecorded vocals and must stop at 1 minute.
- NO ELECTRONIC PLAYER DEVICES: We are unable to use any kind of smartphone, iPad/tablet or iPod/Music Player.
- If you do not have a prepared song with sheet music or CD, you will be asked to sing “Happy Birthday” with the piano accompaniment. (A Pianist will be provided).
- Performers 13 years and older will also be given simple stage movement to follow, please dress comfortably with correct shoes to move.
- No pre-registration or appointments required. You may arrive, approximately 15 minutes before the listed time you wish to audition and sign up in the lobby.
- Video Submissions are accepted. Please send all video vocal auditions to firstname.lastname@example.org
They strongly encourage performers from all cultural backgrounds to attend.
Saturday, October 6 at 10 a.m.
Children, 7 to 12 years old
Sunday, October 7 at 7 p.m.
Males & Females, 13 years and older
Monday, October 8 at 7 p.m.
Males & Females, 13 years and older
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS