10-Acre Controlled Burn Set For Today In South Brevard County: FFS
By Space Coast Daily // November 19, 2018
near Babcock Rd. and Micco Rd. in Micco
BREVARD COUNTY • MICCO, FLORIDA – Florida Forest Service (FFS) will have a controlled burn of 10-acres on Monday near Babcock Rd. and Micco Rd. in Micco.
Did you know fire can be good for people and the land?
After many years of fire exclusion, an ecosystem that needs periodic fire becomes unhealthy. Trees are stressed by overcrowding; fire-dependent species disappear; and flammable fuels build up and become hazardous.
The right fire at the right place at the right time:
– Reduces hazardous fuels, protecting human communities from extreme fires;
– Minimizes the spread of pest insects and disease;
– Removes unwanted species that threaten species native to an ecosystem;
– Provides forage for game;
– Improves habitat for threatened and endangered species;
– Recycles nutrients back to the soil; and
– Promotes the growth of trees, wildflowers, and other plants;
The Forest Service manages prescribed fires and even some wildfires to benefit natural resources and reduce the risk of unwanted wildfires in the future.
The agency also uses hand tools and machines to thin overgrown sites in preparation for the eventual return of fire.
— Brevard EOC (@BrevardEOC) November 19, 2018
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS